LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a way to tell Launchbox to use a different .ini file for MAME?

St_Eddie

10 hours ago, Wormburner_bogey said:

This is what's in my cntrl folder.  I tried changing the line in the mame.ini to xarcade.  But that didn't work.  Was throwing darts on that one 😂

Those are MAME example (yet functional for their intended purpose) config files.  That dart might have hit the board, but it didn't stick and is laying on the ground, in shame. ;)  Remove that.

How the controls were mapped (in the old MAME) depends on the encoder being used and the mode that it's in (keyboard input or XInput).  Though with either mode, you'd still have, at minimum, the Player 1 controls working (P1 coin, P1 start and the buttons and joy).  But you indicate that none of the controls work.

Two options: 

1. Ask your friend very nicely - "I screwed up my MAME installation and had to reinstall it and now none of the buttons or controls work. How do I fix it?"
  2. Map them yourself.  Start MAME. Select "General Settings".  Select "Input Assignments".  Select "Player 1 Controls".  Start mapping, then do the same for players 2 - 4.  Just do the 4  movements, the buttons that player has and their coin and start.

image.thumb.png.285721703af583d6f71ed68aeb726a3d.png

Though with a proper encoder, you really shouldn't to remap any of them.  The defaults should just work.

Now, if you know what changes you made to the 'old' MAME which screwed it up in the 1st place, just undo all those and use it.  Then slowly start redoing those one-by-one until it breaks again.  Then undo the last one.

12 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Those are MAME example (yet functional for their intended purpose) config files.  That dart might have hit the board, but it didn't stick and is laying on the ground, in shame. ;)  Remove that.  Hahahaha.  I removed that straight away.

How the controls were mapped (in the old MAME) depends on the encoder being used and the mode that it's in (keyboard input or XInput).  Though with either mode, you'd still have, at minimum, the Player 1 controls working (P1 coin, P1 start and the buttons and joy).  But you indicate that none of the controls work.  If I said none work, I misspoke.  The coins for player one work properly.  But the movement for player one is actually the player 3 joystick.  One of the buttons for player 3 pulled up some audio options.  None of the other buttons work lol.  Just a mess.

Two options: 

Ask your friend very nicely - "I screwed up my MAME installation and had to reinstall it and now none of the buttons or controls work. How do I fix it?"

I did tell him already that I buggered this all up.  And asked about fixing the controls.  He said "oh boy".  Haha.  He is trying to figure out what file he has that might work for me.  But as I mentioned a while back, he knows WAY more that myself, but is def still building his knowledge base.

Map them yourself.  Start MAME. Select "General Settings".  Select "Input Assignments".  Select "Player 1 Controls".  Start mapping, then do the same for players 2 - 4.  Just do the 4  movements, the buttons that player has and their coin and start.

That was pretty much my next step....not that big of a task.  I probably should have just started doing that as soon as they didn't work.

Though with a proper encoder, you really shouldn't to remap any of them.  The defaults should just work.

I think I need to look at the other mame settings a little more thoroughly.  I very well could have missed something!

Now, if you know what changes you made to the 'old' MAME which screwed it up in the 1st place, just undo all those and use it.  Then slowly start redoing those one-by-one until it breaks again.  Then undo the last one.

I honestly can't remember all the changes I made now.  lol.  It wasn't many though.  I really just messed with .ini files.  The main mame.ini and some of the presets.  Things went haywire when I changed that command line prompt.  Although I obviously did something else to make shit go haywire.  But for the life of me, I can't remember what that would be.