LaunchBox Community Forums

Need help with Hori controller in RA

flatuswalrus

I have 2 Hori FC controllers and I am having such a difficult time trying to get them to work with RA on my Windows 10 PC that I am about to throw them out the window. I see in RA's autoconfig folder that there are files for various Hori controllers; however, RA just seems to want very little to do with them.

I have JoyToKey and DS4 on my PC, but DS4 only recognises one of the controllers, and that one is listed in the Device Manager as an XBOX controller. The home button presses the WIndows + G keys which opens the gamebar, which is very frustrating as I therefore cannot seem to program that as esc to close games with.

Would anyone please be so kind as to tell me where I might even start to try and get all this working? Thank you in advance.

Edited by flatuswalrus

3 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Put the Hori FC into Xinput mode with the switch.

I have 2 Hori FC pads and never had an issue with them in Windows.

Thank you very much for the reply. How do I put it in Xinput mode? I just read something that said a controller in dinput mode shows as a USB Gamepad and xinput shows as an XBOX Controller. I only have my Hori plugged into my PC and in Device Manager, it shows a controller as XBOX 360, does that mean it is already in xinput mode?

Also, the home button that has a Playstation symbol on it does not register at all in JoyToKey, that never happened previously when I used to use this controller a long time ago.

Edited by flatuswalrus

6 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

The switch at the bottom where it says 4 3 PC, set it to PC.

I already had it in PC mode. The other switches on the controller I have set on DP and R3-L2/L3-L1.

I turned on my PC this morning and tried SMB via the Nestopia core and it was working. D-pad, select, start, A and B were all functioning as they should; B was mapped to the X button on the controller and A was mapped to the O, which is perfect.

Then I tried a Game Boy game via the Gambette core and nothing was responding. I closed RA and opened the same Game Boy game again and still nothing. Then, I opened the game a third time and everything was working; however, B and A were mapped to the X and Triangle buttons, which isn't comfortable. This is a great example as this is where a lot of my difficulties lay, even now that the controller seems to be recognised, mapping controls in RA have always been a thorn in my side. When you have a core opened and go to Quick Menu > Controls > Port 1 Controls and press Enter to go into a specific button, like the A button, there does not appear to be any way to press a button on your controller to map that button, it just has a menu to select from. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate the help very much.

On 11/1/2023 at 4:32 PM, Lordmonkus said:

I have 2 Hori FC pads and never had an issue with them in Windows.

Have you ever played something like SFII on the Genesis and the six buttons on the face of the controller worked as the three kick and three punch actions, instead of using shoulder buttons?

Do you remember, for your Hori controllers, under Settings > Inputs > RetroPad Binds > Port 1 Controls, did you have Digital to Analog Type set to None?

Edited by flatuswalrus

46 minutes ago, flatuswalrus said:

Have you ever played something like SFII on the Genesis and the six buttons on the face of the controller worked as the three kick and three punch actions, instead of using shoulder buttons?

Yes, I believe the default binding is the 6 face buttons being ABC and XYZ, same layout as the real controller.

46 minutes ago, flatuswalrus said:

Do you remember, for your Hori controllers, under Settings > Inputs > RetroPad Binds > Port 1 Controls, did you have Digital to Analog Type set to None?

I don't remember.