LaunchBox Community Forums

Reading game metadata from script

JimV

Is it possible to programmatically read the metadata from a game?  I would like to set up a TOS 4 to 8 way restrictor (TOS GRS Switchable 4-to-8-Way Restrictor | Thunderstick Studios (bing.com)).  My thoughts were to set metadata on the game that is being launched and then read that metadata to determine which way the restrictor plate should be oriented.  The TOS 428 way system even has an application for RPI that does this and includes an editable list of games so that you can manage the list centrally.  If I can programmatically read the game metadata then I think I can get this to work.

Thank you!

Edited by JimV

Thank you for the direction.  I've spent quite a bit of time perusing the LB plugins out there and don't see anything that could do this.  Are you aware of a plugin that I might be able to use or repurpose for this?  I suppose I could write a script that MAME launches to switch the restrictors based on the controller type supported by the game being launched but that will require scripting against MAME but I'd rather keep all of this logic within LB.

Any additional direction you can provide would be very much appreciated.