LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box keyboard automation shows wrong input for Hold Key with X-Arcade

Noobi-wan

Hi everyone, recently started a rebuild from scratch of my Launchbox cab and running into a strange issue I can't figure out or find any similar posts for.

Basically I have a newer X-Arcade tankstick with the extra red button, I want to set that button as the Hold Key in Big Box.  That key is programmed as the middle mouse button (M3) by X-Arcade and cannot be changed. I have a simple AHK script to translate the middle mouse button to the 'V' key, which works outside of Big Box.  If I open Notepad with the script running and press the red button, it inputs as 'V'.

However when I go to Big Box and try to set it as the Hold Key, it keeps entering it as 'LeftShift'.  I've confirmed it is still entering as V outside of Windows at the same time.

I had this working in my previous build and had the script set as a Startup App in Launchbox but I get the same issue that way too. Also tried copying it to the Windows 'Startup' folder but no luck there either. 

It seems to work fine in Retroarch and I can map the RA hotkey to the red button as 'V'.

If I try to enter it without the AHK script it doesn't register anything being pressed, which I think was normal behavior in the previous working install which is why I needed the AHK script.

Edited by Noobi-wan

20 minutes ago, Noobi-wan said:

However when I go to Big Box and try to set it as the Hold Key, it keeps entering it as 'LeftShift'.

Shooting from the hip here... What happens if when mapping the Hold key in BigBox, you press "v" on the keyboard (set it to 'v')?  Then test it with the Red button (hold) + something-else-you-set.  Since the Red button 'presses v'.

10 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Shooting from the hip here... What happens if when mapping the Hold key in BigBox, you press "v" on the keyboard (set it to 'v')?  Then test it with the Red button (hold) + something-else-you-set.  Since the Red button 'presses v'.

Thank you!  I had actually tried that before and it didn't seem like it worked but I gave it another try and it seems to be a workaround. I was initially testing the Pause screen and maybe didn't notice it actually paused.  Turns out I needed to set that to force display for that to work too.

Strange it still thinks I'm entering Left Shift in Big Box for that key but unless you want some logs or something for analysis I don't think we need to spend more time on this :)   Appreciate the quick response and all the work you do for the community! Thanks again

• Game On 1

20 minutes ago, Noobi-wan said:

Thank you!  I had actually tried that before and it didn't seem like it worked but I gave it another try and it seems to be a workaround. I was initially testing the Pause screen and maybe didn't notice it actually paused.  Turns out I needed to set that to force display for that to work too.

Strange it still thinks I'm entering Left Shift in Big Box for that key but unless you want some logs or something for analysis I don't think we need to spend more time on this :)   Appreciate the quick response and all the work you do for the community! Thanks again

Glad it worked!

As far as digging into the what's and why-for's, someone recently reminded me "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I say we call it a win and get back to playing games. :D

• Thanks 1

Hi @Noobi-wan  and @JoeViking245 Send commands with AHK are case specific! So this means if you have a script with a send command with a capital letter it will indeed send a capital letter. Though done virtually, it still does that as if you were inputting it yourself physically, meaning one of the shift keys plus the other character being sent, in this case "v"

Send, V ;sends capital V which really means shift+v

Send, v ;sends lowercase v so just v is sent. no shift key sent on this one

Joe and you worked it out. But as soon as I read "Left Shift" in your post, I knew where it went wrong lol so this should at least give you two an explanation on why it was working funny like that initially.

Obviously not every program reads stuff the same way, like your Retroarch example, it just doesn't seem to care if an extra key was sent. This also makes sense why you would see a capital V sent into notepad

edit: Oh I just re-read that Retroarch part. If you actually set the Retroarch hotkey to a capital  V then that also makes total sense why Retroarch worked fine. It was expecting a capital V therefore expects a shift key also and would work as intended.

Edited by skizzosjt
  • Like 1