LaunchBox Community Forums

Mini PC that can be upgraded with a wired power button

OldNoob

Not real sure about thing you linked but I have a switch on my cab that powers on the internals. Just took a power bar and cut off the male end and then you use the wires in there to attach to the switch. Was pretty easy and certainly didn't require soldering to do. Not sure this the exact brand/link I purchased from but it looks to be the same thing overall: https://www.amazon.com/URBEST-Rocker-Switch-IEC320-Module/dp/B00NWO68JI. Then I just set up my PC to turn on when it receives power in the BIOS settings.

Interesting idea, that looks really simple.  I'd totally do that but I worry that my kids (or kids' friends) will flip the switch and shut off the machine too easily.  I've had issues with LB settings getting corrupted by improper shutdown, so I didn't want to trust that shutdown process to keep the machine stable for long.  

The nice thing about the power button is that I can tell windows to do nothing if it's pressed accidentally.  I do appreciate the help though, so thanks and I think that switch would be a great solution otherwise.  

I'm having a really hard time making a cab that's kid-proof 😅.  Even the power button is a tricky process and I think I'll have to ask around for a soldering help.