LaunchBox Community Forums

GamesDB Genre doesn't match LaunchBox

Hey All,

Not sure if I've missed something? LB has a genre "Shooter / Gun" which most of my lightgun games assign to by default, but not all games.
I've manually updated several games to "Shooter / Gun" in LaunchBox and wanted to edit this genre on GamesDB, but the website only has the overarching genre "Shooter" and none of the sub-categories available in LB.

Older games imported as "Shooter / Gun" so not sure if this is a recent-ish change? I don't feel this "Shooter" category is granular enough as if you want to make an auto-populated playlist of lightgun games, or flying games "Shooter / Flying" it is no longer possible without manually applying sub-genres manually to all of your games.

Thanks!

Our DB doesn't have sub-genre data. What you're seeing is the MAME genre data we get from MAME and the supporting INI files and NOT our database. I do have my own platform data on the site and JoeViking has a plugin around here somewhere that lets you apply that data to your collection. Between the two you could set Genre/Sub-Genre on the platforms I have done. Outside of that you'll need to manually assign them to games in your collection as our database at this time doesn't support any genre/sub-genre pairs like that.

10 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Our DB doesn't have sub-genre data. What you're seeing is the MAME genre data we get from MAME and the supporting INI files and NOT our database. I do have my own platform data on the site and JoeViking has a plugin around here somewhere that lets you apply that data to your collection. Between the two you could set Genre/Sub-Genre on the platforms I have done. Outside of that you'll need to manually assign them to games in your collection as our database at this time doesn't support any genre/sub-genre pairs like that.

Thanks C-Beats, that makes perfect sense! I should've picked up it was the MAME roms with the extra data.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 2:03 PM, C-Beats said:

I do have my own platform data on the site and JoeViking has a plugin around here somewhere that lets you apply that data to your collection.

Hi C-Beats, where can I find your platform data and this plugin you mention please?