LaunchBox Community Forums

Copying a playlist - am I doing this correctly?

jackhulk

Hello

I would like to copy several playlists, and the only way I've found to do this is by simply copy/paste a playlist within he Date/Playlist folder, then editing the <PlaylistId> to a unique number. Is this the correct way please, or is this likely to cause issues where I am creating a random playlistId?

One thing I have noticed and not sure if it's related or normal behaviour, is that when I rename a playlist, be that one I've copied or one of the originals created by LB, a new image folder is created as detailed here, instead of simply renaming the original folder. This then leaves a load of old redundant folders present.

Thank you

4 hours ago, jackhulk said:

I would like to copy several playlists, and the only way I've found to do this is by simply copy/paste a playlist within he Date/Playlist folder, then editing the <PlaylistId> to a unique number. Is this the correct way please, or is this likely to cause issues where I am creating a random playlistId?

In LaunchBox,

• Select the playlist you want to copy. 
  • Select all games in that playlist (click once somewhere in the main section, then press Ctrl+A). 
  • Right-Click [somewhere in the main section] and select Add to Playlist
  • Select New Playlist.

This way, you never have to leave the comfort of LaunchBox and the Playlists' GUID is automatically resolved.

Thank you, but the issue with this is that the newly created playlist is static, i,e, non auto-populating, and therefore I would have to create all the conditions from scratch again which defeats the purpose of what I am trying to achieve. I take it it's not possible to simply copy an existing playlist then, other than the way I described above? Is there any adverse affect from me manually creating the playlists GUID as described?

OK. So you want to have 2 separate playlists using the exact same auto-populate filters.  You probably have a reasonable use case for this. The only thing I can think of is that you want to visually see them sub to various platforms or categories.  For that, you can check as many of the boxes in the Parents tab as you want for the 1 playlist.

Regardless, it is not innately possible to create a duplicate of an auto-populated playlist (other than manually creating a new one using the same filters) from within LaunchBox.  

The only potential adverse effect of manually creating a GUID is that by happenstance, you create a duplicate.  But there's only a 1 in 2^128 chance of doing so.

2^128 = 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456
or
340 Undecillion

Posted (edited)

The use case for this is to copy a playlist with many conditions where only a minor change needs applying, e.g. number of player. If you have many playlists with many conditions, it's much easier to simply copy/edit than to create from scratch, which could also be prone to errors.

One of my use case is creating custom genre playlist for 1-4 player. My understanding is that it's not possible to create sub playlists (4 Players) linked to existing playlist (Genre), so I'm having to create a playlist for each and every number of players, e.g. "Racing 2-Player", "Racing 3-Player" so on and so forth. But perhaps I am mistaken and there is a more elegant way of doing this?

340 Undercillion... I like those odds 😄

I was more concerned with possible unknow affects other than duplications; if duplication is the only possible issue, then I have nothing to worry about. From testing, LB simply ignore a duplicate playlist so that it doesn't display within LB, and then actually deletes it from the Date/Playlist folders upon closing.

Edited by jackhulk
  • Like 1