LaunchBox Community Forums

Setting app icon; revisited

Comrade Craig

I just want to preface this by saying I've done a lot of googling and searching on this forum, and I think even found someone asking the same question but they never got any answers, and that was a question from like 2019.

Is there a setting somewhere in Launchbox to actually choose which image is used for the app icon?

I vaguely understand the priority system, but I don't want a change a global rule on 1000 games to use "box front - reconstructed," I just want to change individual games, and the only way I've figured out how to do it is by deleting other images until the one I want becomes the icon. I feel like I'm fighting the software when it should be working for me. I feel like I'm not understanding how the software wants to work.

Also, I'm using a year old version of Launchbox because I haven't decided if I want to extend my license or try a different piece of software. Maybe there's a "use this for app icon" checkbox in the latest software. That alone would encourage me to renew! :)

-Craig

Edited by Comrade Craig

Basically, my problem is that the db images for lots of games are inconsistent. Sometimes it's a weird size, sometimes the fan art is prioritized over the actual box art, etc. I'm just trying to clean everything up and make the interface look pretty... but it really feels like I'm doing it the wrong way...

Assuming it's safe to say that when you say "icon" or "app icon", you're referring to the displayed image in the main section.

The image that gets displayed is primarily based on 3 things. 

1. Your selected Image Group,
  2. your chosen Media Priorities,
  3. and images the individual games actually have.
  4. (there might be another one based on region priority. Don't recall)

It starts with your selected Image Group.

image.png.8d74cdc7d6fd166e3a75b4c41f03b43b.png

From there, Media (Image) Priorities.

image.png.f9a1ade4b78fca7e7c6c44bc85ebd293.png

In this example, when LaunchBox goes to display a games image in the main section, it will look to see if that game has a Steam Poster. If it doesn't, it looks for a Box-Full image.  And so on down the list until it finds an image that exists, respectively for each game.  But it does stop looking when no more boxes are checked.  i.e. If your Image Group is Boxes and the only image "this' specific game has is a Clear Logo.  If Clear Logo is not checked in your Box-Front priorities, no image will show for that game.

Here, the game 3-D Genesis doesn't have a Steam Poster nor Box-Full image (see 'priorities' above).  But it does have a Box-Front.  Adventure doesn't have a Steam Poster, but it does have a Box-Full image. So that is what is displayed.

image.thumb.png.04f187b28bb76efb0314933a63a4b04e.png

Note: you can set the selected Image Group on a per platform basis.

1 hour ago, Comrade Craig said:

I vaguely understand the priority system, but I don't want a change a global rule on 1000 games to use "box front - reconstructed," I just want to change individual games, and the only way I've figured out how to do it is by deleting other images until the one I want becomes the icon.

If I'm understanding you correctly, one way to have an individual game display an image that is different than what the Image group is set to for that platform, and what the media priorities look for (in order of precedence) is to not have those other image types for that particular game.  (And make sure that image type you do want to display is checked.)

Conversely, move that 'different image' to the top of the priority list, and have all the other games NOT have that image.

For example, (unlike as shown above) I have Arcade-Cabinet at the top of my Box-Front priorities list.  Only my arcade type platforms (Arcade, Sega Model 3 etc.) have that specific image type.  And if I set all my platforms to display Boxes, Atari 2600 will get actual Box-Fronts and Arcade with get Arcade-Cabinets, etc.

Basically, my problem is that the db images for lots of games are inconsistent. Sometimes it's a weird size, sometimes the fan art is prioritized over the actual box art, etc. I'm just trying to clean everything up and make the interface look pretty... but it really feels like I'm doing it the wrong way...

The LaunchBox database is completely user supported.  So images come from vast sources.  But consistency is much better than it has been in the past.  Also, the platform you're downloading images for, and your region priorities can account for "weird sizes".  i.e. different regions can have different shaped boxes for the same game.  So if in your platform you prioritized Region "A" when downloading and a particular game doesn't have one for that region, but it does have one for region "B", you'll get region "B"s image.  That way you're not left high-and-dry without any image at all.

You do have the option to download image packs from here in the Downloads section.  Go to Downloads and look in the Game Media section, you can select your platform and then choose from various media types.  Once you downloaded a set, in LaunchBox go to Tools Image Packs, Import and follow the prompts to get them into your collection. 

If you meant something completely different by "icons", my apologies.

Posted (edited)

@JoeViking245 You are awesome, thanks for the long and detailed reply. Even with screenshots!

Yes, I meant the display image in the main section. You understood me completely. This was very helpful!

And BTW, I wasn't complaining about the database. I understand it is user supported. I just wanted to give context about what I was trying to accomplish. It's great that exists; I'm just trying to fine tune it for my own overly-nitpicky aesthetic sense lol (probably like everyone else who uses launchbox!)

Anyhow, if I'm understanding you correctly, I was basically doing it right. There is no override to force a particular image; it's 100% based on groups and priority?

So here's a new question: can I create a custom image group? If I could create "Craig's anal retentive box art" and move it to the top of the priority list, I'd be able to override any image I want without needing to delete/recategorize images in other groups. Since it would only have images when I manually added them, I'd never have to delete or rearrange the images that come from the db....

(edit: also, I'm not totally technically incompetent -- if the group configs are just a bunch of flat config files somewhere, I'm fully capable of making manual edits if it's not supported in the UI)

Thanks again for the patient and informative response, dude!

-Craig

Edited by Comrade Craig
  • Like 1

thanks for the long and detailed reply. Even with screenshots!

You're welcome.  Ya, I do tend to over annotate. 😊

So here's a new question: can I create a custom image group?

No and yes. 

No, not innately.  The available image types/groups are hard-coded. 

Yes, if you put your technical competence to use and modify the appropriate theme View to have the <Image ... > point to the specific folder then add a fallback converter to look for a 'backup' image to display if the 1st one [for that game] didn't exist.  P.I.T.A.!!!  But achievable.  Still, I'd stick with No. ;) 

Alternatively, you can use an existing image type that you won't/don't use.  Like "Arcade - Circuit Board".  (Though If you're into electronics, they are cool to look at.)  Then just pretend "Arcade - Circuit Board" is called "Craig's anal retentive box art" and move it to the top of the list.  Then set your select images to that type.  Or drop the image(s) into that folder (via Windows Explorer). 

image.thumb.png.d3d3787eb6ba49fb629640fb4f9c0f18.png

2 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

you can use an existing image type that you won't/don't use.  Like "Arcade - Circuit Board".  (Though If you're into electronics, they are cool to look at.)  Then just pretend "Arcade - Circuit Board" is called "Craig's anal retentive box art" and move it to the top of the list.  Then set your select images to that type.  Or drop the image(s) into that folder (via Windows Explorer). 

Yeah... that's exactly what I was thinking. You've made me feel smart. Thanks! I think this is the correct solution for me.

• Game On 1