LaunchBox Community Forums

The Quest for the Perfect Pixel (circa 1982) ...

My apologies now for dredging up this long-discussed/debated topic ... I've spent literally months through the years searching in vain for a MAME shader that best approximates the arcade experience of the late '70s through, say, 1984. At this point, I have a new overpowered PC with a 4K monitor that can easily handle any shader that I can throw at it, so antiquated/underpowered hardware is no longer an issue for me. My problem is that bgfx, hlsl, retroarch, megabezels, et al all simulate the "look" of a 1982 arcade monitor, but they don't "feel" like one. There's no "life" to the pixels; the games are just kinda flat and dull. To wit, think of someone painting their version of the Mona Lisa. It's a decent copy of the real thing that your mind and eyes will not accept as the real thing. I feel like Ahab with his White Whale, as this has become borderline obsessive, but in a good/wholesome kinda way. So, I'm sourcing the Launchbox forum to see if anyone out there has similar thoughts and, perhaps, some suggestions or even success(es) to share. I know, I know ... pixels are a personal taste. And, yes, maybe my taste is beyond what is possible. I'm just hoping that another arcade purist might have some ideas that I can pursue and, perhaps, slay the 8-bit whale. As an example of what I'm looking for, I've attached three photos I took of actual arcade monitors during a trip to Galloping Ghost. (I told you I was obsessed.) THANKS in advance. 

Congo Bongo.JPG

The Arena.JPG

Galaxian.JPG

From my understanding based on what I have read and seen others say you will need at least a 4K display that is also OLED and at least 120hz to come close to giving the "life" of a CRT.

4K or even 8K will be needed to give the sub pixel density required. 120hz or higher so you can use black frame insertion to give you the proper motion and you will need OLED to give the proper levels of blacks and brightness.

Even after all that it probably won't be perfect but it will be the best you can do today short of getting an old CRT.

• Thanks 1

Just keep in mind this is just what I have read and seen others say. I have not tested this, I do not own a 4K OLED display.

All my emulation nowadays is done using a MiSTer FPGA and a CRT monitor and or TV with component video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks. Honestly, this helps a lot. It's best to know what my limitations -- potential or otherwise -- are and to temper my expectations/goals accordingly. Based on all my work, I think what others are saying is likely true. So, I'll make it work the best I can and accept that it ain't perfect. I'm fine with that. I will say that my horizontal games look much more like I want them to ("arcade-esque," shall we say) than the vertical games look. If I could get the vertical games on par with the horizontal, I would be happy. I've tried using the horizontal slot-mask pngs that work for the horizontal and flipping them around, but that's not working. 

Anyway, thank you, again, for your advice, Lordmonkus. I've used your information in the forums for several projects. It's been invaluable to me (and, I'm certain, to many others) and is much appreciated.  

Edited by krofftsuperstar