LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem with Versions and Multi-Disc Games

Manuel Leiria

I'm having a problem with a specific feature regarding how a game is flagged as a multi-disc game, or a game that contains multiple versions when adding Additional Apps.
In order for a game to be recognized as having multiple discs, the Disc field needs to be filled (i.e. 1 for Disc 1, 2 for Disc 2, etc.).
Additionally, it seems that as long as the discs have a tick on the Use Emulator flag they will always show as having multiple versions.

The multiple disc feature allows for games with multiple discs to be executed from disc 1 and then to switch the disc during execution to access the other discs.
The multiple version feature allows us to select which disc we want to lauch with the Emulator directly from the context window, and run it.
Unfortunately, with multiple disc enabled but not with multiple version, which is to say, without the Use Emulator flag, the discs are added as Additional Apps, and can't be executed directly, since they are not associated with a specific emulator. And some games come in multi disc packages, but can be executed separately, like the case with Gran Turismo's Arcade and Simulation discs.

Now, if I enable both things, I get the behaviour I want, which is to be able to launch the discs separately, and to have the game recognize that it's a multi disc game. However, there is an issue: it also recognizes the game as having multiple versions. And that shouldn't be the expected behaviour. I have other games that have multiple versions, where there is a Prototype and the Release, or an original Japanese version and it's translation. And I even have games that come in multiple disks for which I also have multiple versions.

What I would like is for the multi disc flag to be able to exist separetely from the multi version flag and still be able to launch different discs directly. There is even a Version metadata for determining which disc version we have, that should be used to determine if versions are different across all discs. I think this would be a worthwhile improvement to the versioning behavior since right now it's not very useful.

Example.png

Example2.png

The multiple disc badge checks apps and if you have more than one app with the disc number filled it marks it as having multiple badges
The multiple version badge checks apps and if you have more than one app that is a likely version (use emulator if base does, isn't auto before/after, obvious document file type, etc) that either DOESN'T have a disc value or has a value of 1 it is then displayed.

I'd take a look at the apps listed in game details again and see with the above information if it becomes clear why you're seeing both. If you can't get it let us know and maybe I can take some time to look through your data file to see if I can't sniff out the reason.

I've checked and determined the issue. So, the game I'm adding is an .m3u playlist, since it's a multidisc game. However, when adding the discs, they are not the .m3u playlists, since they are single discs.
Now, Retroarch itself using Duckstation has some issues with loading m3u's and later loading the separate discs, but that's another issue altogether.

What happens is, if I have the first disc set as the default rom, all works good, and only the multiple disc badge shows up. However, if I have the discs separately and the default rom is the m3u, then I get both badges. So, to me, the multiple version behaviour should probably still be improved a bit to fix this. However, fixing it and providing a better behaviour might also impact users who have gone around it some other way.

1 minute ago, Manuel Leiria said:

I've checked and determined the issue. So, the game I'm adding is an .m3u playlist, since it's a multidisc game. However, when adding the discs, they are not the .m3u playlists, since they are single discs.
Now, Retroarch itself using Duckstation has some issues with loading m3u's and later loading the separate discs, but that's another issue altogether.

What happens is, if I have the first disc set as the default rom, all works good, and only the multiple disc badge shows up. However, if I have the discs separately and the default rom is the m3u, then I get both badges. So, to me, the multiple version behaviour should probably still be improved a bit to fix this. However, fixing it and providing a better behaviour might also impact users who have gone around it some other way.

If the M3U is just for the files you are already importing having the M3U imported is a waste of time on your part. LaunchBox will automatically create a m3u for you if the option is enabled in your emulator settings. There is never a reason to have both in your collection at this point afaik.

1 minute ago, zugswang said:

Why not consider converting your PS1 multi discs to PBP format (all merged into 1 file) ... much easier to manage and work great with Duckstation and RetroArch.

Precisely because I want to have the ability to launch the discs separately, instead of launching the single file and then switching discs in RA. I've got my ps1 games as chds, so they still have good compression.

Some games have different game discs, like Arc the Lad II has a disc that is an arena battler that you can play at any time, though you need save data from the first one. Or in Gran Turismo 2, the Arcade and Simulation discs can be played separately, but there is some save data that be used across discs.

You can have the same memory card if the file names are the same. I structure stuff in folders like game/disc 1/gamename, game/disc 2/gamename and for the playlist game/gamename. Hope that made sense to you.