LaunchBox Community Forums

Many videos in folder no longer play or coming up in audit after latest 13.13 update

Posted (edited)

Hi,

At the moment, I have two ongoing issues, one of which only emerged today following the most recent update.

The first, and older issue, is with the Neon Arcade LB theme. Despite having an image for a game, as illustrated below, it fails to display in Launchbox. This issue is inconsistent, affecting some games but not others, and mainly happening with EPIC games. Interestingly, these images appear as expected with the Default theme, so must be a local issue with NA. I did make a post on their page, and everyone was really helpful, but I still cant seem to figure it out. If anyone else has had this issue any advice would be greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.cf330b80cdd7eab1c24f5a6e020a0421.png

image.thumb.png.402f0870fda9c51602ea13b6d7e70222.png

The new issue which only appeared today after the latest update is happening on nearly every system, both PC and console.  Most of the game videos suddenly stopped playing. When auditing the system, it shows a lot of the videos are missing (0 Video), despite the fact that there are videos for nearly every game in the folder and all worked fine prior to the update.  If I goto edit to see if the video is still there, it now shows nothing (image below) when previously would have a video.  The issue is random, affecting some games but not others, and in some systems, nearly 90% of the games show they have no video, even though they are present in the folder but now need to be manually reattached to the game. Like the previous issue, this one on both my laptop and PC, but also happens on all themes etc, so is maybe launchbox related?.  

image.thumb.png.4049545c53062a42c305946d71a623ea.png

Has this happened to anyone else or maybe have any ideas on what I can try to fix it?  

Thanks

Edited by ZeusMP

Hello ZeusMP,

Yes, I've had the same problem since upgrading to version 13.13.

I have a library of just over 10,000 games, emulation only. Of these 10000 games, images and videos are missing for just over a hundred of them.

When I switch back to 13.12, the associations of these images and videos, whose files are still present on the disk, are re-established and they spontaneously reappear in LaunchBox or BigBox.

Clearly, at my level, the update has caused this problem, both on my desktop PC and on my Legion GO.

I posted about this in the Beta thread, this was the answer given.

On 5/6/2024 at 8:36 PM, faeran said:

We looked into this. As you know, LaunchBox has a feature designed to help display media files from external sources based on matching filenames. Unfortunately, we discovered a bug in this code that caused unintended consequences. This bug sometimes linked media to the wrong games, or even multiple incorrect games at once. The bug also allowed this association even if the filenames didn't perfectly match the game files, which sounds like what you have going in your library.

The bad really outweighted the good here, so we fixed the bug to ensure accurate media association, which then also broke the association for any external media that only loosely matched the game's file name. 

We will continue to support media from outside sources in the way it was intended, but really for optimal functionality throughout LaunchBox, we strongly recommend using the in-app media tools. 

Thanks Rlad!

I've actually used ScreenScraper quite a bit to download images and videos. And sometimes naming can be a problem.

It's annoying, but I understand.

I'll just have to spend a bit of time fixing it...

Thanks everyone, I have tried all this and for me none of it worked.  

In regards to the Rlad Response (thanks), for me I download my videos manually from YouTube and put them in the video folder directly like I do with all the console games.  The name of each video is taken from the edit menu of each game so its exactly the same and worked fine previously.  So not sure if my issue is the same. 

Also thanks C-beats, I already tried all this in the past, and just retried, but no-go, the images still wont show.   The image issue has been happening for several months and was hoping some update will fix it as it used to work fine, but unfortunately so far still ongoing.  

All these issues worked at some point so hopefully there is a solution.

1 hour ago, ZeusMP said:

Thanks everyone, I have tried all this and for me none of it worked.  

In regards to the Rlad Response (thanks), for me I download my videos manually from YouTube and put them in the video folder directly like I do with all the console games.  The name of each video is taken from the edit menu of each game so its exactly the same and worked fine previously.  So not sure if my issue is the same. 

Also thanks C-beats, I already tried all this in the past, and just retried, but no-go, the images still wont show.   The image issue has been happening for several months and was hoping some update will fix it as it used to work fine, but unfortunately so far still ongoing.  

All these issues worked at some point so hopefully there is a solution.

It's the same issue, when you add videos and save via the edit menu LB changes characters to underscores. So 'Mario's Quest: Gold' becomes 'Mario_s Quest_ Gold' it won't recognise things now unless in that format.