LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommendation for DAS enclosure with RAID support

andrebirn

Hi good day, 

I have a secondary internal 16 TB harddrive on  Windows 10 PC that I'm running out of room on and I was thinking of upgrading to a "Direct attached storage enclosure" with RAID support to protect from harddrive failure and have room to expand in the future. I have seen mixed reviews of Qnap TR-004 and Terramaster D4, but none of the reviews are from people being using them for game preservation and current PC gaming. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks for any help 

My current LB PC is nothing special and probably should be updated.

I am running an 80TB setup utilizing a QNap TS-653D.  It is a utilizing RAID 50.  My house is CAT 6 wired and running Enterprise grade WiFi (Ruckus) There is definitely a little laggy when loading the "newer" games, but I mostly play 80s MAME arcade style games.  I have also increased the memory to 32mb (this is an unsupported configuration)

The NAS serves as a game server for LB, movie server utilizing TWonkey, and general file storage.  This is all backed up/Sync'd to my Google Drive.  The NAS can be accessed like any other cloud storage system.

I would be interested in trying a higher end QNap running a VM over QVM with a USB hub and seeing if I could get LB running within it.