LaunchBox Community Forums

Exit Steam game back to BB not closing Steam.

Stevie Mac

From BB on my PC I Launch a steam game then play. 

I then go the menu in the game and Exit the game.

The Game closes but Steam stays open & BB is behind it.

How do I close a Steam/Epic etc so that Steam closes or stays behind BigBox??

Thanks guys

Rather than close Steam after closing a game, my advice is leave it open. Make Steam automatically run at OS startup so 1) games will automatically update as needed and 2) you can have Steam automatically launch minimized to the tray. That is the key part you need. It will stay in this minimized state when launching games. If the window never exists it can never get on top of the frontend! If you close Steam and then open another Steam game, now booting takes longer due to needing to open Steam each time prior to starting the game boot. It will be worse when you inevitably try to boot a game that needs to be updated before actually booting. I take this approach with all launchers I am forced to use. You can do the same thing for Epic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stevie Mac said:

From BB on my PC I Launch a steam game then play. 

I then go the menu in the game and Exit the game.

The Game closes but Steam stays open & BB is behind it.

How do I close a Steam/Epic etc so that Steam closes or stays behind BigBox??

Thanks guys

I personally prefer to close steam automatically when closing the game, you can use TcNo-Acc-Switcher to create such automations via command line, I have been using it for a long time and I assure you it works

https://github.com/TCNOco/TcNo-Acc-Switcher

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skizzosjt said:

Rather than close Steam after closing a game, my advice is leave it open. Make Steam automatically run at OS startup so 1) games will automatically update as needed and 2) you can have Steam automatically launch minimized to the tray. That is the key part you need. It will stay in this minimized state when launching games. If the window never exists it can never get on top of the frontend! If you close Steam and then open another Steam game, now booting takes longer due to needing to open Steam each time prior to starting the game boot. It will be worse when you inevitably try to boot a game that needs to be updated before actually booting. I take this approach with all launchers I am forced to use. You can do the same thing for Epic.

I was under the impression having Steam launch as win starts would cause problems with game pads linking as Steam take them all over?
Thanks for the help mate sounds good.  I did used to have Steam launch and minimize like you said but after reading about the pad problems I turned it all off.  So this makes sense I'll give it a go thanks!! 

24 minutes ago, Sbaby said:

I personally prefer to close steam automatically when closing the game, you can use TcNo-Acc-Switcher to create such automations via command line, I have been using it for a long time and I assure you it works

https://github.com/TCNOco/TcNo-Acc-Switcher

Thanks @Sbaby I'll look into this if the above doesn't work out!  
Thanks for the help!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stevie Mac said:

I was under the impression having Steam launch as win starts would cause problems with game pads linking as Steam take them all over?
Thanks for the help mate sounds good.  I did used to have Steam launch and minimize like you said but after reading about the pad problems I turned it all off.  So this makes sense I'll give it a go thanks!! 

I wouldn't call it take over, but there are a couple things going on with the Guide button. This would be a personal preference to any user so this is optional (but I do recommend disabling this stuff). In Steam, you will likely want to disable the shortcut to bring Steam into focus by pushing the Guide button. Then there is the Guide Button Chords which is you hold the Guide button to activate an alternative control scheme for various inputs on your controller. If you don't want to use them, then turn that off. Personally I like the Guide Button Chords since they are only usable when the Guide button is held down. But having Steam or Big Picture Mode pop up into focus with just hitting the Guide Button is likely not desirable for your use case. For ex, Retroarch defaults its menu to the Guide Button. Then there is "Desktop Configuration" that remaps stuff when you're not in game and I turn that off too (might be where you think Steam takes over a controller?). Maybe it is off by default for all I know. Basically it will make the controller act like a mouse and keyboard. My main point here is there are a couple settings at most to toggle off if you want Steam to have no control over controller's actions.

Under Controllers you will want some stuff disabled

image.thumb.png.ce3e13df48bd65840e434caf1e3b19da.png

Guide button focuses Steam and Desktop Layout should def be disabled. Guide Button Chords would be optional to disable

Click "Edit" and make sure Steam Input is OFF for Desktop Layout. Screen should look like this to indicate it's off

image.thumb.png.3d0454ed6eacf43c75956b21fd138667.png

• Thanks 1