LaunchBox Community Forums

I-PAC config

dvdbob

Hi

I have an arcade cabinet & I'm using an  I-PAC 2 as my button controller - it's currently set in the default keyboard mode & everything seems fine.  The only issue I have is that I've added a few PC based games and I'm unable to configure the controls as the game doesn't give the option (some do I know but also, some don't - However, they all support controllers).  I know the IPAC can be changed to emulate an actual controller so I'm thinking about doing just that.  My only question is - will there be any downsides to this new config?  I know I'll probably have to go back and reset the controls on the emulators but I don't mind that.  I'm just wondering if there's any negative outcome to making this change :)

Cheers

Edited by dvdbob

23 minutes ago, dvdbob said:

I know the IPAC can be changed to emulate an actual controller so I'm thinking about doing just that.  My only question is - will there be any downsides to this new config?  I know I'll probably have to go back and reset the controls on the emulators but I don't mind that.

I have an   o l d   I-PAC-2 that doesn't have the option to switch x-input.  Which for me is fine because games that use only a controller should be played with on a controller. ;)  For those I use an Xbox controller.

That said, from what I've read, switch it to x-input, (re-)configure your emulators and call it a day, and don't look back.  While playing games, of course. 😎

The only downside is oddball emulators for oddball systems that can only use keyboard and mouse.  For those, you can add a Running Script to the emulator that will pass a command to tell the I-PAC to switch into keyboard mode. Then when exiting, have it switch back to x-input mode.

Conversely, keep everything as-is and for systems/games/emulators needing x-input, add the script accordingly to switch to that and then back.

Hi, thanks for the quick and detailed reply.  That's what I was hoping to hear :)  I only have arcade type games installed in the cabinet - things that needed keyboard/mouse or anything 'fancy'  aren't of a concern here :)  Hyper Sentinel is something that I wanted to add but doesn't offer the option to reconfigure the controls but it does offer controller support.

Hey, honestly thanks again for the reply - I'll give it a go tomorrow evening.   I didn't think making the change would be a problem but I've thought that before about various things & it doesn't always go to plan!

btw I wasn't ware you could switch the input mode on 'the fly' - that's also good to know 

• Game On 1

Funny you bring this up. I have literally just swapped my I-pac2 to controller/xinput. So far nothing a miss for me personally.  Another good tip also make sure to set your directional inputs to Ljoy P1/P2 respectively for movement on the Ipac board. Opens up a few more options for games from steam etc that don't support d-pad inputs. I have just been installing and testing games which work and there are quite a few that work flawlessly. Also a few not so smooth titles but definitely playable.

Big box works, retroarch works, mame works. You just have to go through and re input controls for each platform/emulator. if you find big box doesn't initially recognise your controller, there are controller options in the menu. Just have a play about with tick boxes etc until it registers.

Me and my daughter have been really enjoying playing Skyforce-anniversary together, its a Shmup. Not playable without the joy input 👌

Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

Edited by RICKST20