LaunchBox Community Forums

Amstrad CPC 464 Real 3D Box Art Project 1.2

(1 review)

6 Screenshots

About This File

Amstrad CPC Real 3D Box Art Project.

There are a few sources of 3D box art out there for the CPC464, though none that are as high resolution, realistic looking and true to the original as I wanted. In the absence of support for true 3D rotatable models, I decided to make this set.

This set uses a real cassette template in Photoshop into which the front covers and spines are inserted. English versions used where available, though foreign games are covered too.

Most 3D boxes are a "single" cassette box, though there are also double cassette boxes, disk boxes and cardboard boxes. I try and make the box art true to the original. Cassette boxes are prioritised where available. There are a very small number of games that came in boxes of anomalous sizes - I have tended to use the cardboard box template for these.

The single cassette box template is of superior quality to the double and disk box templates - if anyone can find the latter 2 in higher quality, let me know, though I'm relatively happy with the ones I have.

For freeware/PD/etc games, I am making "blank" cassette templates with the game name stuck to the front and spine of the cassette insert as an embossed label strip (like you could make with those old machines).

The rom set used is the Gamebase CPC set, which contains 3299 games.

New packs will be added here, so click follow to get updates. Any errors or missing games let me know!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates

19 Aug 2021: Pack added (A)

24 Aug 2021: Packs # and A being reworked: double cassette case will have the feint background removed, and 3D boxes for cardboard box games will be added

27 Aug 2021: Freeware/PD/etc games will have a 3D box made - using a blank cassette insert template with the game name printed on an embossed label and stuck to the front and spine

28 Aug 2021: Packs # (75 covers) and A (242 covers) have been updated to fix the translucent background issue for double cassette and disk cases, and PD/freeware 3D boxes have been added

10 Sep 2021: Packs added (B - 219 covers)

6 Nov 2021: Packs added (C - 249 covers)

15 September 2022: Apologies for the lack of updates since...well, the last update. This work is still on my radar. It is currently on pause as the "true 3D model box" feature has made it into the Launchbox implementation list as per the most recent poll. If this works well then I would plan to convert all these boxes to proper 3D model ones. So I'm just waiting to see what it looks like. 

30 November 2022: So the 3D model box feature is now working in Launchbox, with a full-screen view having been implemented. Once a good jewel cassette box type has been added to the list of templates in Launchbox, I will go ahead and convert these images to a format that can be used with the 3D models, and continue to complete the set to work with the 3D models. There will then be little need to have these static 3D boxes in addition to the 3D model boxes and I likely won't complete the static set - but if anyone is interested in continuing this work with the static images, I'd be happy to share the resources. 

26 February 2024: Over a year later and still no support for cassette-based platforms with the 3D box model feature, which is disappointing. Hopefully this will come soon.

Edited by Retrofrogg
Update

What's New in Version 1.1.0   See changelog

Released

Packs # and A reworked to remove the translucent backgrounds from the double cassette and disk boxes - thanks for pointing this out spycat. 3D boxes also added for the PD/freeware games.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Game On 1

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

spycat

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

The more I look at these, in particular the standard norelco ones, the more impressed I am. Beautifully done!

Response from the author:

Many thanks spycat. The double cassette cases and disk cases are inferior to the single one, but they're the best I have at the moment. I can't seem to find any double cassette template as good as the single one. If anyone knows of one, please let me know!

• Like 2
Link to review