LaunchBox Community Forums

Swapping Discs in DOSBox

Jason Carr

New in version 3.3 is support for swapping discs in DOSBox. Some games require that multiple discs be switched out within the same drive, either while playing the game or during the game's installation process. DOSBox supports mounting more than one disc at once, and allows you to switch between discs by pressing Ctrl + F4. Previously, however, LaunchBox did not support mounting multiple discs to a single drive. The Mounts tab of the Add/Edit dialog now allows you to assign multiple mounts to the same drive letter. Therefore, if your game happens to have three discs, you would add all three images or folders to the Mounts grid and assign them all to be the same drive letter, for example drive D. Then during the game or installation process, you could switch between discs as needed by pressing Ctrl + F4. Feel free to comment here if anyone needs help or finds something not working properly with this feature. Thanks, Jason

• 1 month later...
This is fantastic news and it's perfect for C&C and Red Alert, however I'd really appreciate an indicator of which disk is currently mounted. As it is, I have no idea which one is mounted and C&C doesn't properly prompt you if you're using the wrong one. Is there a way to enable some sort of overlay in DOSBox that can pop up when you press Ctrl-F4 to indicate the image name?

I could look into implementing it myself, assuming there's already a system in place to display things over the emulated screen. Also, this might not be the best place, but may I request the option of launching DOSBox in the working directory of the game? If you don't mind too much, I implemented that myself in a previous version. It allowed me to use my own mounting batch file before the game launched. I can show you my implementation if you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Sorry for reviving an older topic, but I am a bit confused. Is this saying there is a way for Launchbox to swap disc images for you? I can't find anything in the edit game tabs about it. It would be tremendously useful with some Playstation games like Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9.

Hi kamyk, no, this is specific to DOSBox games. Unfortunately emulators are all too different in order to be able to properly implement disc swapping for all of them. It would have to implemented individually for each and every emulator, and most emulators don't even provide a way to communicate externally to swap the discs.

Jason Carr said Hi kamyk, no, this is specific to DOSBox games. Unfortunately emulators are all too different in order to be able to properly implement disc swapping for all of them. It would have to implemented individually for each and every emulator, and most emulators don't even provide a way to communicate externally to swap the discs.
That said, with ePSXe or most emulators you should be able to save state and launch the second disc, load the save state and it should continue. I did this in the past, but it was a long time ago. ePSXe Savestate button is F1, then to load the game is F3. F2 changes the save state slot.