LaunchBox Community Forums

New Premium Version Planned for December 2014

Jason Carr

As we've previously discussed on the forums, a premium version of LaunchBox is in the works; we're shooting for December 2014 as the first release of the premium version. We're hoping this forum post can help to answer everyone's questions on the matter, and provide a good place for discussion and feedback. Why a premium version? As much as we'd love for all LaunchBox features to forever be free, we'd like to take LaunchBox much further than it already is, and we're starting to hit some walls. For example, as we've discussed previously on the forums, we'd like to add skinning support, but we would need to purchase a third-party product to integrate it into LaunchBox. Unfortunately, coming up with the funds for things like this is difficult with a donation-only model, not to mention that this site alone costs more than the what is being generously donated. Rather than be annoying and beg for donations, or just greedy and charge everyone for LaunchBox, we think that a free/premium model would be the best solution to the problem. We'd like to keep LaunchBox ad-free, nag-free, and free to distribute, and this seems to be the best solution. What will the premium version include? We're considering many different features for the premium version, but we expect most of the features to surround advanced customization abilities, such as themes/skinning support, searching more online databases than just TheGamesDB.net, and similar options. One of the biggest goals with LaunchBox from the beginning was to make everything as clean and easy as possible. We still want to keep it this way for the current free version. Therefore, the benefits of the premium version will be limited to power-user features that have not yet been implemented. Anything that is implemented to make LaunchBox easier to use will be kept in the free version. How much will it cost and what if I've already donated? Currently, we're considering charging $10 for the premium version, which we consider to be very reasonable. LaunchBox users who have already donated or who donate between now and the release of the premium version will get immediate access to it upon release. We're also planning on using a lifetime license model, so that once you pay for the premium version, you will continue to get upgrades for free for life, and can use your copy on any number of machines (even in a portable manner). We plan to include no DRM, and to discourage piracy only by stating who a premium copy of LaunchBox is licensed to in the program's title bar. We recognize that this will result in some level of piracy, but we would rather deal with a minimum amount of piracy than cripple the software for paying users. What about the current free version? Will it continue to be updated? Yes, the current free version will forever continue to be updated. New features will keep being released. When considering whether a new feature belongs in the free version or the premium version, we'll ask the question, "Is this a power-user feature?" If the answer is yes, the feature will likely end up in the premium version. However, features like imports, library management, or anything else that make LaunchBox easier and more convenient to use will continue to be released for the free version. We want LaunchBox to be the go-to app for multi-platform gaming on the PC, and we want it to be free. We need your feedback. Please let us know if you have any thoughts you'd like to share on any aspect of this. If you're excited about the premium version, let us know. If you dislike the idea, let us know as well. If you have ideas for features that you'd like to see in the premium version, by all means, do share. We want to keep LaunchBox a community-driven application, even for the premium version, as it has been from the beginning. Thanks for all your support; we can't wait to see where we can take LaunchBox going forward. :)

• 2 months later...
I think this is a great idea. The type of business model you have proposed is probably the best way to achieve a balance of revenue and 'customer' engagement/satisfaction without excluding people without the means to donate. This software is quickly becoming a front-runner for easiest to use, feature-rich frontend on Windows. Please keep up the great work and awareness of this software will continue to build! Cool

While I do wish that LaunchBox could be kept free for all, I do understand the need for money to progress development. I think $10 is a reasonable amount for a premium version so long as it is kept as a lifetime license and the free version doesn't get left behind or plastered with ads. So from this post I'd say I'm happy with this system. Smile Also with regards to donations before December 2014 getting access to premium straight away does that include those who have donated < $10? Or just those who have donated $10 or more?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I just fear the business model won't be enough to keep Launchbox afloat. 10$/lifetime is a great model, I love it, but isn't the community a bit too small in size to provide with enough revenue? I just ask that in case it isn't, you reach out to the community before things get too hard on you. I, for one, would gladly pay more if it allows me to keep the development of this great app running, or pay a second time, or whatever. I've seen too many great projects being abandoned because people weren't paying enough, and I really like launchbox.

Xananax said I just fear the business model won't be enough to keep Launchbox afloat. 10$/lifetime is a great model, I love it, but isn't the community a bit too small in size to provide with enough revenue? I just ask that in case it isn't, you reach out to the community before things get too hard on you. I, for one, would gladly pay more if it allows me to keep the development of this great app running, or pay a second time, or whatever. I've seen too many great projects being abandoned because people weren't paying enough, and I really like launchbox.
That truly warms out hearts. We could open up a donations page if people really wanted to, if one doesn't already exist. Jason likes the idea of this becoming a full time job, we've talked about it before. Candidly, that would be amazing. Besides time, this doesn't cost too much extra. The site at the very least isn't extremely costly to run per month either. If the premium features list kept growing and growing, I could see it going up to maybe $15 for a lifetime. Or hell, adopt a yearly license. All topics to be had for discussion; but I know Jason is ok with how things are right now. Regardless of how things progress, thank you very much for even buying Premium to begin with, let alone wanting to give more. It makes what we do that much sweeter. Thank you.

Behold my flannel ... (English(Yorkshire?) slang for verbal drivel) I would imagine it's quite hard to get people to pay for the type of software that can commonly be found for free. As a result I think it is really important that the free version doesn't lack any essential features and that the price remains within the realm of impulse purchase. I don't have any hard data on this but speaking from my own purchasing/donating habits they tend to be based on the responsiveness of the developer. Therefore I recommend you remain as active as you already are on the forum and be as responsive as you can when it comes to fixing small bugs etc..

Duckeenie said Behold my flannel ... (English(Yorkshire?) slang for verbal drivel) I would imagine it's quite hard to get people to pay for the type of software that can commonly be found for free. As a result I think it is really important that the free version doesn't lack any essential features and that the price remains within the realm of impulse purchase. I don't have any hard data on this but speaking from my own purchasing/donating habits they tend to be based on the responsiveness of the developer. Therefore I recommend you remain as active as you already are on the forum and be as responsive as you can when it comes to fixing small bugs etc..
He's as active as he can be, doing this in his spare time. Jason is the only developer, and I have no coding skills to speak of. Mine comes in the form of Audio / Video production, design, UI, UX. That sort of thing. So with a full time job and a family, I think he does fantastically well. LaunchBox would never become an expensive product either. In my last post I said $15 max, and that is even pretty unlikely. The free version will stay functional, and that's the point. Every time we have a new feature planned we also ask if it is right for the Premium version, and will it make the free version harder to use by not being there. Chances are, some features will, but then there would be no incentive to upgrade. We want to make the free version as best as it can be, while still giving the user an incentive. As well, I think both versions are better than any other Front End out there. Some are just focused on one Emulator, which is fine. Some have a different goal and mission statement in mind, and that is all right too. I don't want to even say that 'we care more' than the other people, because they probably care just as much as we do. But even with all that, I still do think LaunchBox is a superior program to most, and that is why I joined on so easily.

I would argue this type of software cannot be "commonly" found for free. Before settling on Launchbox, I tried everything google threw at me, and their mothers and their dogs. I have decided on Launchbox after a thorough search. I even installed Windows on a box so it could be used as a gaming machine (I am a Linux guy), solely because the software looked good, behaved well, and did everything I needed it to do (plus some). I think there is something comparable on Mac, but I can't remember the name right now. Every other solution I've tried lacked a feature I deemed essential. But even if it was commonly found for free, it doesn't make it right; Free software is generally difficult to depend upon: 1) Made by 14 years old who don't need money to live, and will be abandoned when they do 2) Released by big companies as a gateway to other paid software, and will not be maintained with the same amount of dedication 3) A labour or love by some guy/gal, and will be abandoned when real life creeps up 3) Managed by a big community where every member works on their spare time, and development is so slow that features take years over years to be implemented 4) Released as open-source by companies who depend (or hope to depend) on code contributions to better their product. This one is maintainable and dependable upon, but these companies typically sell services, or customizations (or both) There are exceptions to these cases of course, but in the end, if a software is to continue being developped, people need to be paid. I'd argue that as the Internet generation is entering a mature age, they are understanding that free is not a good model, and are willing to pay to support software or product they like (kickstarter, flattr, patreon...). Coincidentally, this generation is the same as the one that remembers the Snes/DOS years fondly and is likely to use something like Launchbox. Coincidentally, this generation is at the height of their purchasing power right now. I am not in any way representative, but I am the only example I have, and I have absolutely no use for any feature that is not in the free version. I purchased LB just because it deserves it, and because the dev seemed invested in his product. I'd wager a bunch of people who have paid have paid for the same reasons. I know I totally contradict my first post (community too small to support LB development), but I'm just presenting another point of view. I have no idea if it is hard to get people to pay for it or not. I just hope it's not.

Xananax said I know I totally contradict my first post (community too small to support LB development), but I'm just presenting another point of view. I have no idea if it is hard to get people to pay for it or not. I just hope it's not.
Sadly, it can be. We had our doubts before we launched Premium. While he cant stop and focus on this full-time or even more than he does now, its still respectable, appreciated and humbling what we do get. We are amazed and happy at the rate of success.

Xananax said I know I totally contradict my first post (community too small to support LB development), but I'm just presenting another point of view. I have no idea if it is hard to get people to pay for it or not. I just hope it's not.
Just to put my post into perspective, I have paid for LB.

Thanks for the good discussion guys. Just some quick notes. Sales are coming in at roughly 1 sale per day. I am in awe that I've had even that much success, because yes, getting money out of people is incredibly difficult (especially when it comes to what ultimately boils down to a launcher). I am ecstatic that my LaunchBox efforts have not been in vain. However, 1 sale per day is admittedly nowhere near enough to truly justify the development time I spend. That said, I do this for fun. This is what I enjoy, and I have no intention to stop. I've been doing this for a well over a year now, and though my level of interest fluctuates from time to time, I always come right back to it. And now that there is a paid product, I have an obligation that I do not intend to break. I am very interested in making more money with LaunchBox, but I'm pretty positive that increasing the price too significantly, or having a subscription model, is not the best way to make that happen. I was terrified that people would run away when I introduced the paid model to begin with, just because, yes, there are free (and open source) products that do this already. I just like to think that LaunchBox makes it easier and prettier. For what it's worth, my goal is to make the premium version of LaunchBox more enticing with every release. I have a proper home theater view planned for this year, which will be a premium-only feature, as well as a number of other things. Once the premium version is more feature-packed, I may decide to increase the price to $20, but I wouldn't see increasing the price much higher than that as a good idea (nor do I want an angry community). Anyways, thank you all for your continued interest and support, and thank you for the purchases. I can promise for the foreseeable future that I will continue and will not lose interest in LaunchBox. Beyond that, I can promise that if I ever do lose interest (which I highly doubt), I will open source the entire project so that someone else can easily take it over. So there are really no worries as to the future of LaunchBox. It would be incredibly nice if I was able to work on LaunchBox full-time; I could spit out features like no tomorrow. However, that's pretty unrealistic, as there's just not near enough revenue available to ever make that happen. Regardless, I'm very happy with the progress that's being made (and it seems the community is too), and I'm being paid for what I love doing, so I have no complaints whatsoever. We shall prevail.