LaunchBox Community Forums

"The following users say thank you to for this post:"

Jason Carr

Jason Carr said tumblr_lkmq9wgpmw1qb84lwo1_500.gif
I just finished Torchwood last night, and I already miss it. :,-( I have nothing to watch now.
Jason Carr said @Hippyshake you're a preacher? What denomination? :)
I'm a Ruling Presbyterian Elder, but I do Pulpit Supply. Typically I do Sunday service, but I've taken over a monthly Celtic Vespers service that's held on the third Thursday of each month. The sermon is about one-third the length of a Sunday sermon, so that was definitely a blessing today. :) It went pretty well. I think my calling is leading me toward seminary soon, so I try to accept everything that's offered to me. What denomination are you?

That's awesome to hear, Hippyshake. I've always wanted my main work to be some sort of a ministry, but haven't gotten there yet. I know I'm personally not called to be a preacher, though I was a youth leader for a good 10 years. I just stopped doing youth ministry because it was becoming painfully obvious that I was slowing down a bit too much for the kids. ;) I'm relatively denomination agnostic; I tend to go where I feel led. That said, I do consider myself Wesleyan, so I've mostly stuck to the United Methodist, Free Methodist, and Nazarene denominations.

Jason Carr said That's awesome to hear, Hippyshake. I've always wanted my main work to be some sort of a ministry, but haven't gotten there yet. I know I'm personally not called to be a preacher, though I was a youth leader for a good 10 years. I just stopped doing youth ministry because it was becoming painfully obvious that I was slowing down a bit too much for the kids. ;) I'm relatively denomination agnostic; I tend to go where I feel led. That said, I do consider myself Wesleyan, so I've mostly stuck to the United Methodist, Free Methodist, and Nazarene denominations.
I hear you on the slowing down thing! VBS is getting more difficult each year. :) The funny thing about me being Presby is that, we (my gf and I) hadn't gone to church in years, but we made an agreement that when we moved to this new town three years ago, we were finding a church and going. We both come from Roman Catholic backgrounds, and wanted a change, so we asked someone on the street where the Methodist church was. He pointed to the Presbyterian church, and that's where we went. When the service started, it was obvious we were in the wrong place, but everyone was so warm and welcoming, and the sermon was great, so we just kept going. Since then, I've taken over the website, started podcasts, teach a weekly Bible study, run the Men's Group, and preach when needed. Proof that we go where we're led, I guess. lol As for your main work being some sort of ministry, I think you're already there, my friend. Consider this:
Spoiler
Isaiah 43:7 says that we're created for the glory of God. Paul writes to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 10:31) that everything we do, should be for His glory. As God worked for six days creating the earth and everything in it, and as God is good (Psalm 25:8), then everything in it is inherently good (as in Him, there is no darkness at all (1 John 1:5)), including work - as long as it's done for the glory of God. "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." (Col. 3:17 NRSV) One more point, just to bring this home: 1 Samuel 16:7 tells us that "[...]the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart."
I've read your blog post on faith, and I see what a generous person you are in these forums with your spirit, your time, your energy (and your Amazon gift cards!), and it's obvious that you lead with your heart. LaunchBox has led me and a lot of other people here. Trust me when I say that people see Christ through you.

That was very encouraging to read, my friend; thank you for that. That is most certainly the goal, though of course I feel like I constantly fall short of it. That is awesome that you're so involved; sounds like an extremely good use of your time. And yes, it definitely sounds like you're exactly where the Lord wants you. It also sounds really busy! Lol. I know it goes without saying, but I'm really glad you're here, John. :)

• 3 weeks later...