LaunchBox Community Forums

Feature Request - Option to exclude file extensions

bd00

Hi, Could you add an option to exclude specific file types when importing roms please? Currently, when I import rom files using the wizard, it picks up other file types,. For example, each of my games are in individual folders which also contain .bat, .jpg, .png etc. files and when I import, I get X amount of copies of the same game. Only one is the actual rom file, the others are the images and .bat files, which I then have to delete manually by right clicking, going to edit, checking which file it is and then deleting if required. It is frustrating and is the primary factor stopping me importing my full collection. Another nice feature would be the option to select a device/console first. Adding an additional/optional layer to the GUI, like a main menu, where users can choose a console and view the games only from that device. Also, +1 for the game info display. Thanks and keep up the good work :)

I agree, guys, that would be pretty great. There are definitely plenty of UI improvements to be made. I'm going to make a "preview" view the priority here at this point, because obviously it's important to be able to view the metadata outside of the editor window. I do like the platform screen as well; ultimately I'd like to have the ability to do that with other things too, like developer, for instance. I'll start with platform though. That in particular will take some significant development though, so unfortunately this one won't likely be as fast coming, but we will head in that direction. Thank you both for your continued input; it's very helpful and appreciated. :)

Hehehehehe...yeah, I'll see if I can get that in the next version. In the mean time, you might be able to do a search filter in Windows Explorer by extension, and then just temporarily move out the files that you don't want into another folder (but that probably won't work if you're using subfolders). Ah, you could back up the entire folder (make a copy), delete all the non-ROM files (should be easy by filtering or sorting on extension in Windows Explorer), run the import, and then replace the folder with your backup copy. A big pain, yeah.

Hmm, copying is not really an option at the min, don't have the local storage to duplicate my library at present. I could do it over the network to my server i suppose, but it will be very time consuming (I have copies of all my PS2, GameCube, Wii, Dreamcast and PS1 games digitized in my library). Maybe Powershell would work. Move all files, excluding ROM file types, to a temp location, then move them back again after importing. I could save the script(s) to be used again if required. Will look into that when I have time.

• 5 weeks later...