LaunchBox Community Forums

*Bug* Issue when adding platforms not in TheGamesDB

bd00

When you 'Import ROM Files' from a platform that is not in TheGamesDB and you don't un-tick the "Search for and download game information from TheGamesDB.net" box, LB changes the platform of some games leaving them scattered around and mixed-up with other platforms. Luckily I was able to filter out these with the "Added: Today" filter, but others might not be so lucky. I suppose you could just go into the xml and remove the last lot of entries, that would be a quick way to find them, but some people won't like or know how to do that. Not allowing LB to change the platform the user entered would be a better approach.

bd00 said When you 'Import ROM Files' from a platform that is not in TheGamesDB and you don't un-tick the "Search for and download game information from TheGamesDB.net" box, LB changes the platform of some games leaving them scattered around and mixed-up with other platforms. Luckily I was able to filter out these with the "Added: Today" filter, but others might not be so lucky. I suppose you could just go into the xml and remove the last lot of entries, that would be a quick way to find them, but some people won't like or know how to do that. Not allowing LB to change the platform the user entered would be a better approach.
Yea, this has been around for a while. That's why I suggested to most people to name the platforms around what TheGamesDB has. Im not sure if its a bug with the API or on their end... but I am unsure. It shouldn't be right?

It doesn't recognize the platform, so it searches for the games titles in other platforms until it finds a hit, then renames the platform accordingly. This is probably by design because people enter platform names differently. Probably no fix on this end. Would have to create a solution on this end, where LB does the work figuring out which platform the user entered before submitting it to TGDB. If that platform is not in TGDB you could even skip the search all together. But I doubt anything like this will be on the cards anytime soon.

Good call on this, bd. I guess I hadn't really thought about that (Brad probably brought it to my attention but I must not have understood it or something). I did come up with a list of platform names that is supposed to help resolve this issue (for example, for Super Nintendo, I look for Super Nintendo, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, SNES, etc.). I then make sure I'm searching TheGamesDB with the right platform. What platform(s) are you seeing the issue on (what did you have in your platform field when adding ROMs)? I might be able to add it to the list. I'll post my current list below and add whatever you guys can think of that is missing. Beyond that, you're right, probably shouldn't rename the platform from the results on TheGamesDB. I'll add an item to get that fixed.

Here's the list. The first item is the name on TheGamesDB and the subsequent items are the ones that I look for in addition.
"3DO", "3DO Interactive Multiplayer" "Amiga" "Amstrad CPC" "Android", "Droid" "Arcade", "MAME" "Atari 2600", "Atari", "2600" "Atari 5200", "5200", "Atari 5200 SuperSystem", "5200 SuperSystem", "Atari SuperSystem", "SuperSystem" "Atari 7800", "7800", "Atari 7800 ProSystem", "7800 ProSystem", "Atari ProSystem", "ProSystem" "Atari Jaguar", "Jaguar" "Atari Jaguar CD", "Jaguar CD", "Jag CD" "Atari Lynx", "Lynx" "Atari XE", "Atari XEGS" "Colecovision", "Coleco", "Coleco Vision" "Commodore 64", "C64", "C=64", "CBM 64", "VIC-64", "C 64", "CBM64", "VIC 64", "VIC64", "Comm 64", "Comm. 64", "Comm64", "Comodore 64", "Commodore" "Intellivision" "IOS", "Apple", "iPhone", "iPad", "iPod", "iPod Touch" "Mac OS", "OSX", "Mac OS X", "Mac OSX", "Mac" "Microsoft Xbox", "X-box", "MS Xbox", "Microsoft X-box", "MS X-box", "Xbox" "Microsoft Xbox 360", "Xbox 360", "360", "MS Xbox 360" "Microsoft Xbox One", "Xbox One" "Neo Geo Pocket", "NeoGeo Pocket", "NGP" "Neo Geo Pocket Color", "NeoGeo Pocket Color", "NeoGeo Color", "NGPC" "NeoGeo", "Neo Geo", "Neo Geo Multi Video System", "Neo Geo Advanced Entertainment System", "MVS", "AES", "Multi Video System", "Advanced Entertainment System", "Neo Geo MVS", "Neo Geo AES", "NeoGeo MVS", "NeoGeo AES", "NeoGeo Multi Video System", "NeoGeo Advanced Entertainment System" "Nintendo 3DS", "3DS" "Nintendo 64", "N64" "Nintendo DS", "Nintendo DSi", "NDS", "NDSi", "DSi", "DS" "Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)", "Nintendo Entertainment System", "NES", "Nintendo", "Famicom", "FC" "Nintendo Game Boy", "Game Boy", "GameBoy", "NGB", "GB", "Nintendo GameBoy", "Nintendo GB" "Nintendo Game Boy Advance", "Game Boy Advance", "GameBoy Advance", "GBA", "Nintendo GameBoy Advance", "Nintendo GBA" "Nintendo Game Boy Color", "Game Boy Color", "GameBoy Color", "GBC", "Nintendo GameBoy Color", "Nintendo GBC" "Nintendo GameCube", "Nintendo Game Cube", "NGC", "GameCube", "Game Cube", "GCN" "Nintendo Virtual Boy", "Virtual Boy", "VirtualBoy", "Nintendo VirtualBoy", "NVB" "Nintendo Wii", "Wii" "Nintendo Wii U", "Wii U", "WiiU" "Ouya" "PC", "Computer", "Personal Computer", "Windows", "MS-DOS", "DOS", "Microsoft Windows", "Win32", "Windows 3.1", "Windows 3.11", "Windows 95", "Windows 98", "Windows 2000", "Windows ME", "Windows XP", "Windows Vista", "Windows 7", "Windows 8", "Windows 8.1" "Philips CD-i", "Philips CD-i (Compact Disc Interactive)", "Compact Disc Interactive", "Philips Compact Disc Interactive", "Philips", "CD-i" "Sega 32X", "32X" "Sega CD", "CD" "Sega Dreamcast", "Dreamcast" "Sega Game Gear", "Game Gear", "GameGear" "Sega Genesis", "Genesis" "Sega Master System", "Master System", "SMS" "Sega Mega Drive", "Mega Drive", "MegaDrive", "Sega MegaDrive" "Sega Saturn", "Saturn" "Sinclair ZX Spectrum", "ZX Spectrum", "Spectrum", "ZX" "Sony Playstation", "Playstation", "Play Station", "Sony Play Station", "PS1", "PSX", "PS", "Sony PS1", "Sony PSX", "Sony PS" "Sony Playstation 2", "Playstation 2", "Play Station 2", "Sony Play Station 2", "PS2" "Sony Playstation 3", "Playstation 3", "Play Station 3", "Sony Play Station 3", "PS3" "Sony Playstation 4", "Playstation 4", "Play Station 4", "Sony Play Station 4", "PS4" "Sony Playstation Vita", "Playstation Vita", "PS Vita", "PSVita", "Vita" "Sony PSP", "PSP", "Sony Playstation Portable", "PlayStation Portable" "Super Nintendo (SNES)", "Super Nintendo", "SNES", "Super Nintendo Entertainment System", "Super NES", "Super Famicom", "SFC", "Super Comboy", "Comboy" "TurboGrafx 16", "TurboGrafx-16 Entertainment SuperSystem", "TurboGrafx-16", "TurboGrafx", "TESS", "PC Engine", "PC-Engine" "WonderSwan", "Wonder Swan" "WonderSwan Color", "Wonder Swan Color"

Jason Carr said Good call on this, bd. I guess I hadn't really thought about that (Brad probably brought it to my attention but I must not have understood it or something). I did come up with a list of platform names that is supposed to help resolve this issue (for example, for Super Nintendo, I look for Super Nintendo, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, SNES, etc.). I then make sure I'm searching TheGamesDB with the right platform. What platform(s) are you seeing the issue on (what did you have in your platform field when adding ROMs)? I might be able to add it to the list. I'll post my current list below and add whatever you guys can think of that is missing. Beyond that, you're right, probably shouldn't rename the platform from the results on TheGamesDB. I'll add an item to get that fixed.
No, my problem was with a platform that was not in TGDB, so even if you put it on your list TGDB will still not recognize it, and attempt to find the game under another platform. I only had a quick scan of your list but maybe add abbreviations for every platform (e.g. Sega Mega Drive - SMD) and the Atari's you have 2600, 5200, etc, maybe add A2600, A5200, etc. too. Intellivision you probably should add Mattel Intellivision. I will examine the list further, later and drop some more suggestions. Maybe you could have LB check what the user entered against your list first and if a platform is not recognized then activate a popup saying "The platform has not being found in TGDB... please check your spelling... blah, blah, blah..." add a text box where they can try again and a button to continue without referencing TGDB. Or rather than a text box, a drop list with the platforms that do reside in TGDB. Just a thought.