LaunchBox Community Forums

Avast antivirus update issues

gotchax5

Hey guys! Saw a topic about avira detecting launchbox update as a virus. Well, avast does the same - it detects Launchbox 4.2 setup file in the update folder as Win32:Evo gen or sometimes Win32:Malware gen. Update fails every single time...it is very annoying. So yeah same here: temporarily disable antivirus if you are trying to update.

Thanks, gotcha. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about these false positives. Anti-virus software is known for being a virus in itself and crippling legitimate applications for little to no reason. I might recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials instead; though I haven't used it in a while, it is known for not being as much of a problem.

gotchax5 said Hey guys! Saw a topic about avira detecting launchbox update as a virus. Well, avast does the same - it detects Launchbox 4.2 setup file in the update folder as Win32:Evo gen or sometimes Win32:Malware gen. Update fails every single time...it is very annoying. So yeah same here: temporarily disable antivirus if you are trying to update.
If you want an alternative, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, Advanced System Care Pro and IOBit Malware Fighter is all I use. I also put it on clients computers, it runs well and keeps them clean and running smooth. If you are in to purchasing some then I would suggest Malwarebytes and ASC Pro, both of which are cheap for an entire year; Malwarebytes may be purchased once... I don't remember. Another thing you can do is in most Antivirus software there is a section so you can Whitelist is or give specific programs the Ok. Go in to the settings or options of yours and find a similar area. Whitelist the Launchbox.exe or the entire LB folder if possible. This might help.

This is pretty crazy. I'm testing for virus false positives; the issue has nothing to do with any changes we've made in LaunchBox. It has everything to do with the fact that I updated my version of WinRAR, which builds the setups. For some crazy reason, the latest version of WinRAR builds setups that trip that false positive. So, easy solution, downgrade WinRAR. I'm putting out a new version today that should hopefully no longer have that issue.

SentaiBrad said
Jason Carr said Alright, 4.3 official is out. Gotcha, can you test the update process to make sure it isn't tripped by Avast?
That's stupid crazy. Damn Winrar.
Updated just now to 4.3. It seems to be working fine. Avast didn't stop it this time, AVG also seems to let it install on another pc too. Thanks for the quick patch Jason. Avast tends to be a bit over sensitive sometimes, this is not the first legit software it prevented from working properly, a few weeks ago it blocked a steam bought copy of gmod. I'll let you know if it prevents updates again.