LaunchBox Community Forums

Downloading previous versions of LaunchBox doesn't work

I'd like to download a previous version of LB (mainly due to speed issues; versions 4+ aren't officially supported on my OS, and it uses up a lot more RAM than version 2, and it's generally slower for me). I'd like to try out any of the versions 3~... but the trouble is, I click on any of the older version download links, and only the latest version opens (as of today, it's 4.2) For example, I click on "Download LaunchBox 3.6 here" which opens the following URL: https://www.launchbox-app.com/index.php?sdmon=wp-content/downloads/LaunchBox-3.6-Setup.exe HOWEVER, when the EXE file actually opens up, it's "LaunchBox-4.2-Setup.exe" Can you put archive section on the site, maybe on the downloads page, that has links to previous versions? Thanks!

Hi Toast, in general, I am trying to avoid distribution of old versions, because LaunchBox has been developed so quickly and there have been plenty of versions out that have had so many issues. Really, though, the latest versions of LaunchBox should actually be faster and use less RAM if configured properly. Have you tried using the latest and turning off the RAM cache under Tools > Options > RAM Cache? Also, using default Windows styles might help some too. Per the "not officially supported" thing, I believe the only stuff that doesn't work on XP are the wizards, as they use Vista+ controls. So I would still very much recommend using the latest release, and just turning off the RAM cache. If you still have performance issues and feel like it was faster and used less RAM with the 2.x releases, then something isn't right. The 2.x releases were pretty wasteful with resources, especially RAM.

Hey Jason, I've turned on Windows default styles and turned off the RAM cache, and LaunchBox still uses at least more than twice the RAM that LB 2.0 did. Also, scrolling is much more sluggish than 2.0 was. I'm actually thinking of downgrading down to 2.0 -- but I'd rather try using version 3.6 or 3.7, however I've never been able to download them. (An aside: it's very unusual for any developer of any software project (unless it's Google) to actively prevent users from downloading older versions... for what that's worth.)

Hey Toast, I'm more concerned about making sure that the current version of LaunchBox doesn't use too many resources than restricting old versions. Still, I'm confused because my testing shows only ~120 MB of RAM tops. How much RAM are you seeing? I understand that not distributing old versions is an oddity. I just want to make sure that you're not running into a bug with the latest version that I can fix. I'm weirded out because rarely has anything gotten slower during LaunchBox development.