LaunchBox Community Forums

Jason, I need some clarification.

CliveBarker

Hi everyone. I made this thread because of the recent change to the features proposal method. In order to make your "to do list" more organized and to save you time, you asked us to make the feature proposals directly to BitBucket. I don't have any kind of problem with that, I like it more that way but there are some questions in my mind about this: -Does this means that the Features section of the forum is no longer needed to post features? -Do you still want discussion to be made about features in the forum? Yesterday @garbanzo made a thread proposing an idea: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/idea-support-for-multiple-libraries The replies on that thread made me wonder about this and that is the main reason for this thread. I have a small proposal to make: What if you @Jason make a sticky thread with some guidelines about proposing features. At the end of the day this is your software and I don't have any issues if you tell me how you want features to be proposed, since this will save you time and it will be more organized. My idea of a good format for feature proposals could be something like this: 1.-The user creates an issue at BitBucket. 2.-The user proceeds to create a thread at the Features section with the same name as their issue and the link to it. 3.-This thread will only be used to discuss and if the user wants to change something because a new idea came from such discussion he has to make the change directly at BitBucket at the issue's description. This is all, I have made some issues already at BitBucket but I still don't make any thread about them here. P.S. When I talk about issues I am refering to enhancements and proposals only, not bugs. Maybe something similar can be made for bugs, although I don't really know if they need to be discussed. Edit: I forgot to tell Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas Clive! So the forums will stay at what it is, a place to discuss things. The Features section can still have threads related to current features or discuss new features in depth. The BitBucket page is to just keep track of everything, however "add feature a" isn't necessarily descriptive or even helpful. The forums can be to discuss features that are in the BitBucket, discuss new ones before adding them etc. The BitBucket link is being pushed because its new, and not a lot of people even know about it. It's there just so Jason doesn't have to take time to add everything. It still needs to be pruned every once in a while but this is a much easier task and most users can search keywords before adding this. Though... lets be honest, a lot of users wont. ;) As per format, the forums don't really have many rules other than don't be a complete and utter dick, don't be racist etc etc. I don't know how it will be handled, but I think something similar to what you propose is a very good idea. It's just getting people to know about the rule, know about BitBucket and then follow it. I think the Report Issue / Feedback button needs to be renamed, though most people probably ignore it as is. It's.... stupidly tricky. I like being able to have a discussion about anything, including a discussion on having discussions. xD I think that is a very good thing that is fostered on these forums and I still think that even though I get, lets face it, jerks. Sometimes people don't want to hear a truth, don't want to see another way other thinking (not that anyone here forces their way on to someone else) or simply be told no because they feel some sort of ownership and entitlement. So yea, the current sub sections of the forums still have meaning, all of them. They just need to evolve like the team behind this software evolves and like the software its self evolves.

SentaiBrad said Merry Christmas Clive! So the forums will stay at what it is, a place to discuss things. The Features section can still have threads related to current features or discuss new features in depth. The BitBucket page is to just keep track of everything, however "add feature a" isn't necessarily descriptive or even helpful. The forums can be to discuss features that are in the BitBucket, discuss new ones before adding them etc. The BitBucket link is being pushed because its new, and not a lot of people even know about it. It's there just so Jason doesn't have to take time to add everything. It still needs to be pruned every once in a while but this is a much easier task and most users can search keywords before adding this. Though... lets be honest, a lot of users wont. ;) As per format, the forums don't really have many rules other than don't be a complete and utter dick, don't be racist etc etc. I don't know how it will be handled, but I think something similar to what you propose is a very good idea. It's just getting people to know about the rule, know about BitBucket and then follow it. I think the Report Issue / Feedback button needs to be renamed, though most people probably ignore it as is. It's.... stupidly tricky. I like being able to have a discussion about anything, including a discussion on having discussions. xD I think that is a very good thing that is fostered on these forums and I still think that even though I get, lets face it, jerks. Sometimes people don't want to hear a truth, don't want to see another way other thinking (not that anyone here forces their way on to someone else) or simply be told no because they feel some sort of ownership and entitlement. So yea, the current sub sections of the forums still have meaning, all of them. They just need to evolve like the team behind this software evolves and like the software its self evolves.
Thanks for the elaborated response. And you are right, no matter what someones do to force rules, not everyone will follow them I just feel like not everyone knows what BitBucket is and don't know how to use it and to vote issues, specially those with little English understanding. It would be nice if somehow there was an automatic translator at the forums, but seeing how awful Google translate is, I don't see any other automatic translator doing a good job. Maybe in the future with AI, the automatic translation will be flawless.

Yeah, we could definitely benefit from a list of rules and standards, Clive, agreed. Problem is they're no fun to write, no fun to read, and no fun to enforce. ;) That said, I can help clarify a few things. I will keep asking that every new bug and feature request gets added to Bitbucket. I think the forums should be a good place to "discuss" what "might" be a good idea, or discuss the best way to solve problems, etc. But yeah, all in all, the final request should end up in Bitbucket for sure.