LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding Categories to the Sidebar

Maddoc1007

Hi i dont know if this is possible but i would like to add categories to the side bar i tried custom filters but cant get that to work no matter what i do i seem to end up with everything showing under the custom filter i created even though i leave all fields clear except add Title at top. What i would like to add to sidebar are entries for Movie's. T.V. Series, Music and Media Player's. That way i could add new categories under each like you can with Platform ie:- Arcade, Atari, NES etc. So for example Movies ie:- Adventure, War, Western etc. Music:- Pop, Jazz, Newage etc. That way when id click on Movies nothing else would show up except the sub categories that i set up for that, same for Music, Media Player and so forth. If anyone knows if this can be done would be great if they could do a tutorial on how to do it, if not would it be possible Jason if you could add those categories. Thanks in advance.

Hi Maddoc, this can be done with the new Custom Fields in 4.7 premium. You can add any custom fields that you want (category) and then select them in the sidebar. It sounds like custom saved filters is working the opposite of how you are expecting it to. If you don't enter anything it will show all games.

Hi Jason thanks yes custom filters is working the opposite of how i thought it would work. I thought it would work if i added a title say movies that title would go in to the sidebar and be added to the list from the drop down menu:- Complete, Date Added, Date Modified, Developer Favourite, Genre, Platform ect as its own seperate heading. Then i would be able to add the sub categories such as Adventure, Fantasy, Space, Western ect. However no matter how i try in add custom filters i cannot get the categories i want without those categories showing up in other ones on the main page when i click on individual headings in the sidebar such as Complete, Date Added, Date Modified, Developer Favourite, Genre, Platform ect to which i dont want them to show up in, hope this explains it a bit better. Maybe they do but no matter how i try filling in the fields to custom filters i cannot achieve this.

Ah, I see. Yeah, custom filters show up in the list under custom filters, not in the main drop down. It allows you to filter your collection by anything, but not dynamically like that. I see what you're getting at, once we properly support multiple types of media (games, movies, music, etc.), we'll need multiple levels of filtering like that, for sure. It does get pretty complicated at that point, so I want to make sure however we implement it is easy to understand.