LaunchBox Community Forums

Computing Power Insanity: China's Tianhe-2 (Milky Way-2) Supercomputer

CadetStimpy

Ya probably wouldn't see much lag in any of your games with this computer! Laugh China has had the fastest Supercomputer in the world since June of 2013. This might be why: CPU Cores: 3,120,000 (I've got 8, here at home Smile) Memory: 1,024,000 GB! (Hmmm..., the Milky Way-2 edges me out again Frown) At peak, with cooling, the system consumes 24MW! The Consumer Energy Center says one megawatt is enough to power 1,000 homes (other sources say only a few hundred). Their electric bill must be staggering. When I worked at a large computer manufacturing facility (Digital Equipment Corporation) back in the day, they 'posted' their electric bill for the employees to see, to illustrate the value of turning off equipment when you went home, etc.). They paid about $350,000/month for that one facility. Tianhe-2-MilkyWay-2.jpgTianhe-2-vs-other-Supercomputers.jpg Our fastest Supercomputer is the Titan, built by Cray and ran by the DoE (Department of Energy). Interestingly, I woulda thought the DoD would have the fastest one. However, I do recall reading about a Supercomputer the U.S. had at an 'undisclosed U.S. government site'. Sounds a bit military. Wink

They spy on us? I thought they just hacked into our highly secure, giant systems and took what they wanted. Doh! I think scientists use them more, but, of course, scientists do design very large bombs, death-rays, and other fun stuff that's useful for conquering other countries, on behalf of their respective, peaceful governments. Wink