LaunchBox Community Forums

Trying to setup PC-FX in RetroArch

DOS76

I'm trying to setup PC-FX with the Mednefen core in RetroArch but I can't get it to work I have a file called pcfx.bios in the systems folder but when I load the core and then go to info it tells me that pcfx.bios status is missing and required. I downloaded a bios pack for RA but PC_FX isn't the only systems whose BIOS isn't being detected PS1 Mednefen core says the same thing it list multiple BIOS' that I have but reports them all as missing. I can get RA to launch simple stuff like SNES and Game Boy but I don't need it for that really PC_FX it is almost the only game in town beside Mednefen which is a PITA too perhaps I don't have the correct BIOS file as I have to rename it to pcfx.bios to get it to match the funny things is I read Mednefen is looking for pcfx.rom to work so its strange that RA is using their core but needs a different name. I think Brad mentioned before that he had this working anybody else no what I could try? I'm using RA 1.3 if that helps at all

DOS76 does Retroarch find the BIOS needed for any the cores that need one? For example does SNES Super Mario Kart work with the bsnes-balanced core? It won't work if RetroArch can't use the BIOS pack you downloaded. Check that Settings->Directory->System/BIOS matches the directory that your BIOS are in. If you have separate configurations for each core, check that setting both before Retroarch loads a core and after you load the core that has the problem.

SNES doesn't need BIOS files nor is the problem he is having. They only exist for certain situations. All but 1 game works with bsnes balanced as well, BIOS doesn't fix that. Yes, it is worth checking to make sure LaunchBox is looking in the correct directory for BIOS files, but this doesn't help PC-FX from being difficult. It could also be that the BIOS file got corrupted from somewhere. The Emulation General website can help you a lot with RA if you need more help: http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Using_RetroArch http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Emulator_Files Those two links are as far as I can help with BIOS very specifically. I don't want to just show you or give you, we need to legally cover our butts, but it is pretty obvious if you quickly browse the two links...

To elaborate this is all just stand alone RA that I'm trying to setup I haven't even attempted to use it with LB yet as if it doesn't work on its own then there really isn't any sense in adding another layer and not being as certain as to where the issues is. RA has found my TurboGrafx 16, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, SMS and Genesis Bios so it is at least detecting some of them.

SentaiBrad said SNES doesn't need BIOS files nor is the problem he is having. They only exist for certain situations. All but 1 game works with bsnes balanced as well, BIOS doesn't fix that.
The bsnes core in Retroarch does need BIOS files for games that have an on cartridge co-processor such as Super Mario Kart. http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Bsnes But yeah, if other cores find the BIOS files, there must be another problem. I've never tried to set up PC-FX

It looks like I do have the dsp bios files in my System folder. I knew that some games did need something, like Super Game Boy for example, but I missed this. I just got the pack at EmuGen so. Otherwise if your other systems are launching, honestly, try not worry about PC-FX for a while. All of the games are in Japanese anyways with no fan translations really to speak of. I've tried really hard to get it to work too, I just don't think it's worth it anymore.

Yeah I understand I just hate to see a platform go unemulated and the software be lost even if it is in another language. I can't really play any of my PC-Engine CD games either but some of them look like they are probably pretty cool. Its not that big a deal I'll have to try Mednefen again and try using pcfx.rom I don't think I ever changed the name last time I tried.