LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch on Android phone

DOS76

Anyone have any experience using RA in Android? I'm having performance issues running simple cores that work great in the stand alone Android apps. Gambatte for example is struggling to play a GBC game but if I use other GBC emulators there isn't any problem playing. Is there any settings that can be tweaked that will provide better performance. I know this would probably be better for the RA forums but I figured I'd see if anyone in the community could help out before I have to go over there and ask. I would just use the stand alone's but RA is just some much nicer and more convenient than the others.

I've played around with it on my Kindle Fire HD 10" (Late 2015, the $220 one), but RA has a lot more under the hood than the stand alones I am sure, so potentially you are running out of RAM or your phones CPU is having issues. I can suggest a few things, but there is no guarantee it will work, I also don't have my tablet on me, I had to exchange it for another one so I don't have the exact names on me right now, Wednesday or Thursday after I restore my backup I will. Never run a RAM Cleaner, you don't want an app like that to reside in ram and try and regulate everything that would be bad. Assuming you're rooted, Droid Optimizer was good to set a performance governor on the CPU, make the CPU run faster. Of course, this will kill your battery faster though so you'll want to turn it off afterwards. There are several game launchers, and I don't remember the one I use personally, but it makes games like The Tribez, Family Guy Quest for Stuff and Simpsons Tapped Out run a lot more smoothly. You launch the game through that and it closes processes and other apps to provide more horse power to the app. Otherwise there are some RA specific settings you can change, but if you look up emulator guides and RA guides they might know exactly what to change. I don't know all the settings off hand and I do our tutorial series. For the most part they should be similar. At the end of the day, your phone or tablet may have less power than you need for an optimal experience with RA, like I said they probably take more resources because they do a lot more than the average single system or single system family emulators.