LaunchBox Community Forums

Using a Frankencase for my PC

DOS76

My new MSI 950 arrived today and I went ahead with my plan to move the board from my slim case Dell Inspiron 660S and install it in an old IBM case. First the board actually did fit in the case so despite its age this is mostly the same. Next I installed the drives and the PCIe cards (GPU & MSATA adapter). Then we hit our first hitch the PSU would in no way stand up and fit in the case in a way that the plug was accessible and the case didn't have matching screw holes for it any way so I have it laying in there with the fan facing up pushed back with the cord coming into the case. After that I I had to rig up the card reader and the frontpanel usb which don't fit the case so they are just sitting in the 2nd optical bay slot. The power button was also a mismatch and I have to push the internal part of the button from the old case which is just hanging out of the case. So basically it looks like shit. If I can mod the top on the case and feed the power button out the top I'll be ok if not Its back online for a new case.

xD Yea, I used to have to do odd stuff like that when I had an old PC. Sometimes you wonder if you should just buy your own case. This is why I like PC Parts Picker generally, it tells you about random stuff like this when you're making your build. Or at least it tries to.

Dolphin is running at 5x native with no issues with the Intel HD 2500 if I turned it up to 1.5x it would show some slowing and at 2x would become unusable. So definitely an improvement RA shaders that used to choke my system all run now without issue.