LaunchBox Community Forums

Right click menu crashes application in some instances

paladin181

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Version: LaunchBox Version 4.6 Premium Issue: When right clicking a game where the launcher or additional apps are located on my external drive, if the drive has gone into sleep mode and needs time to access, the action crashes LaunchBox. The device is a Seagate Free Agent 1TB USB external HDD. Would it be possible to get a timeout extension on requests to devices like this before crashing the app? It's not a huge deal; once the drive wakes up LaunchBox can read from it normally and can access any title with a file located on the device. It is an inconvenience however should I forget to click on it elsewhere to wake it up.

paladin181 said OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Version: LaunchBox Version 4.6 Premium Issue: When right clicking a game where the launcher or additional apps are located on my external drive, if the drive has gone into sleep mode and needs time to access, the action crashes LaunchBox. The device is a Seagate Free Agent 1TB USB external HDD. Would it be possible to get a timeout extension on requests to devices like this before crashing the app? It's not a huge deal; once the drive wakes up LaunchBox can read from it normally and can access any title with a file located on the device. It is an inconvenience however should I forget to click on it elsewhere to wake it up.
There are ways to make the drive not go to sleep, then this should fix the current problem. However, I still think Jason will want to fix this as the crash is still unintended and good to fix. I'll pass along this thread to him.

Hi paladin, thanks for this tip; I was not aware that was happening. I'm curious if this might be related to another issue I'm seeing, any chance you can screenshot me the error message? When it happens, do you get the error dialog with the "Report Error" button or do you see a different dialog? Are you able to keep using LaunchBox after it happens? Hopefully I can get this issue fixed quickly. Thanks, Jason

Diving into the code, this one *might* be a tough one to solve. I believe (my guess is) it's happening when trying to parse the icons for the additional applications (and DOSBox, etc.). It's using a low-level Windows API call in order to do this, which is the reason why it's such a challenge. I did fix the signature of the method, though, so I'm hoping, with luck, that the issue might be resolved. I'm putting out a new beta in a few minutes; Paladin, can you test and see if the issue is fixed? Let me know if you need help downloading the beta. Thanks, Jason

Jason: Thanks for the prompt response. The only error message I get is a Windows message "Launchbox has stopped working." The program shuts down completely and must be restarted. I just attempted to get a failure for the exact error message (searching for troubleshooting info, etc) but it did not fail. This indicates to me that it is not a 100% failure and may not be exactly what I initially thought it was.