LaunchBox Community Forums

Import PC Games to Library?

Kriven

I know that you can point LaunchBox to an .exe file via the Add Game function, but is there a way to move the file into the LaunchBox library like you can with ROM files? It will be a lot easier for me in the future to have as many games actually in LaunchBox's folder hierarchy as possible, in the event that I want to move the library to another drive.

Hi Kriven. Yeah, Duck's right when it comes to Windows games, though there are portable games that would allow for it. Actually a lot of games do allow for it, assuming DirectX and the C++ runtimes are installed, etc. That said, in general it's often not a good idea to move Windows applications around, yeah. The MS-DOS importer does allow you to relocate games upon import, I believe, as well. I would be wary of adding this functionality for Windows games, though.

That is true, though for LaunchBox purposes, it doesn't really matter where Steam games are located, mostly because Steam games are launched via Steam's protocol like this: steam://rungameid/271590 That conveniently makes all Steam games just work, no matter the machine, and no matter where they are installed.