LaunchBox Community Forums

Tidy Up the Images Folder?

Kriven

Not really a feature, exactly, and definitely not about the "Clean Images" utility. The Images folder is a giant mess, really, which makes it somewhat problematic to work with. Is there some way to restructure it so that it's more in-line with the way LaunchBox handles Videos and Games organization? So I mean, instead of listing every game in the one directory (which can be messy if you have the same game for multiple platforms [which reminds me***]) the Images folder would look: LaunchBox\Images\Super Nintendo (SNES)\Donkey Kong Country\Front.png I don't know what all the numbers and letters are exactly, but they seem to have corresponding files so I assume they're important... some kind of identifying code for LaunchBox? They slow down my folders a lot, but if they're important that can't be helped. But would it be possible to stash them deeper within the folder hierarchy somehow? ***Also, I was reminded while typing this that I keep meaning to ask about a "Other Games with the Same Name" section. I haven't ironed out how that would work exactly, but I'll create a more detailed request when I have.

Kriven said Not really a feature, exactly, and definitely not about the "Clean Images" utility. The Images folder is a giant mess, really, which makes it somewhat problematic to work with. Is there some way to restructure it so that it's more in-line with the way LaunchBox handles Videos and Games organization? So I mean, instead of listing every game in the one directory (which can be messy if you have the same game for multiple platforms [which reminds me***]) the Images folder would look: LaunchBox\Images\Super Nintendo (SNES)\Donkey Kong Country\Front.png I don't know what all the numbers and letters are exactly, but they seem to have corresponding files so I assume they're important... some kind of identifying code for LaunchBox? They slow down my folders a lot, but if they're important that can't be helped. But would it be possible to stash them deeper within the folder hierarchy somehow? ***Also, I was reminded while typing this that I keep meaning to ask about a "Other Games with the Same Name" section. I haven't ironed out how that would work exactly, but I'll create a more detailed request when I have.
I believe Jason thought of ways to improve this in the past, but I'm not sure there was ever much request for it. The way LB handles it now, is it creates a folder with a randomly generated ID attached to it on the fly. So its all different for each of us. I don't think that part will change, the random identifier, but I believe those could be organized a bit more. My only concern is that some of those folder names can get to be pretty long. If someone puts their LB directory say in a folder, in a folder then the images folder... that full path name is starting to get long. There are restrictions on the full path name for any given file. So an image inside a games Fanart folder could trip that error for some users. It's certainly situational.. but its something I've come across before structuring mod files for Fallout and Neverwinter Nights.

I am planning on revamping this for 5.0. The structure is currently planned to look like this: LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo 64\Front\Donkey Kong 64.jpg LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo 64\Back\Donkey Kong 64.jpg Etc. I haven't 100% decided on that format, but that's the format I'm currently looking at in order to achieve compatibility with EmuMovies data. In the future we may support more options, or if a better idea comes along, a different format. I like the "Platform\Game Name\Front.jpg" format too, but that would be much more of a pain to integrate with EmuMovies data. Since there's really no standard to speak of, I just ran with that. It's up for discussion (I haven't implemented it yet). Another challenge will be moving users' existing images around; not sure how best to deal with that yet either.

Jason Carr said I am planning on revamping this for 5.0. The structure is currently planned to look like this: LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo 64\Front\Donkey Kong 64.jpg LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo 64\Back\Donkey Kong 64.jpg Etc. I haven't 100% decided on that format, but that's the format I'm currently looking at in order to achieve compatibility with EmuMovies data. In the future we may support more options, or if a better idea comes along, a different format. I like the "Platform\Game Name\Front.jpg" format too, but that would be much more of a pain to integrate with EmuMovies data. Since there's really no standard to speak of, I just ran with that. It's up for discussion (I haven't implemented it yet). Another challenge will be moving users' existing images around; not sure how best to deal with that yet either.
It would require a custom script. My thinking though, read the XML, read the platform and every game under that platform just perform a simple copy function to the new structure and change the file path in the XML to the new one, then perform a restart on LB.

Yeah, I can certainly just automatically move them, but I'm torn on whether I should do that. Also whether I should make it automatic or provide a manual process, etc. I'm also curious to know whether people really think the new format will solve the issue...I know some people probably want the images in the game folders, etc.

Kriven said I don't mind having the process automated. Also don't think the new folder hierarchy is a problem... I prefer having the Images folders apart from the games folders.
My thought process, which I do want to state is mine and not necessarily whats going to happen with LB, but I don't think it really matters how the structure is as long as its clean. ./Images/Console/Game/ No need for it to be complex or anything like that. Just as long as we keep the total path name under the character limit. It's also good to note on Windows XP machines that limit is certainly smaller, maybe even Vista. I know 7 and 8 have an expanded full character limit on the path.

Alright, the latest beta is a step forward with this. Images should now be parsed automatically from the proper folders, in addition to the previous folder structure: LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo 64\Front\Mario 64.jpg LaunchBox\Images\Arcade\Fanart\polepos2.jpg And similar. Both the title and the name of the ROM/startup file are used to parse. The folders that are used are all customizable in Manage Platforms. One key issue here is what to do with games with the exact same title, for the same platform, such as Tomb Raider (2013) vs. Tomb Raider (1996). It's not common, but in this case they are currently indistinguishable. I may end up just allowing you to override it with the year in parenthesis attached to the end of the file names. Thoughts?

In the other thread I did suggest the "Title (year)" method, as you have proposed above. I think that would generally work out fine, and it's a pretty similar structure to what other programs (like Kodi) already utilize. If I have multiple fanarts, will LaunchBox be able to recognize files named "Super Mario 64 (01)" "Super Mario 64 (02)" as being from the same game?

Jason Carr said Alright, the latest beta is a step forward with this. Images should now be parsed automatically from the proper folders, in addition to the previous folder structure: LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo 64\Front\Mario 64.jpg LaunchBox\Images\Arcade\Fanart\polepos2.jpg And similar. Both the title and the name of the ROM/startup file are used to parse. The folders that are used are all customizable in Manage Platforms. One key issue here is what to do with games with the exact same title, for the same platform, such as Tomb Raider (2013) vs. Tomb Raider (1996). It's not common, but in this case they are currently indistinguishable. I may end up just allowing you to override it with the year in parenthesis attached to the end of the file names. Thoughts?
In the other thread I already stated what the solution for video is. Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider (2013). The first being the original. I don't see why that can't apply here? Usually video games don't carry over the same exact name, except for possible reboots.

I think I'll throw a request for including a game's source in its image name as well... For instance, I own Super Meat Boy in two locations: Super Meat Boy (year) - Steam (###) Super Meat Boy (year) - Humble (###) Even though the games should have virtually identical metadata, I wouldn't want the two versions being crossed because I have unique boxart for each. Don't want to accidentally boot the wrong version.

To that extent, I am unclear why the folder doesn't just say ./Console/GameName then the images. Also Kriven, in this case editing the console name to Humble could solve this, right? If you want them to stay distinct enough why not distinct their console to origin of purchase? However, I am curious. Why the two versions? Are they not identical?

I did have my library pretty well separated in that manner until I found the Source tag. I own two versions because Humble came with a Steam code, and while Humble is the one I actually have installed, the new method of gathering Steam information fetches uninstalled games as well. Also the fact that the Humble version is DRM-free while the Steam version is locked to... well, to Steam.

Kriven said In the other thread I did suggest the "Title (year)" method, as you have proposed above. I think that would generally work out fine, and it's a pretty similar structure to what other programs (like Kodi) already utilize. If I have multiple fanarts, will LaunchBox be able to recognize files named "Super Mario 64 (01)" "Super Mario 64 (02)" as being from the same game?
That one's a challenge as well...right now it should recognize "Super Mario 641.jpg" and "Super Mario 642.jpg", though I'm not overly happy with that format. I wanted to make it as compatible as possible with people's existing libraries. How this works is up for discussion.

Per multiple versions of the same game, the LaunchBox-recommended way of handling it is with Additional Applications, so there's only ever one actual game, though I understand the desire for separate box art per source. Unfortunately I think Source is a bit too specialized to use for the media file names.

SentaiBrad said To that extent, I am unclear why the folder doesn't just say ./Console/GameName then the images.
This is to support EmuMovies data, which downloads all the images into "Platform\Image Type\Game Name.jpg" paths. So this comes back to whether that format is ideal for everyone. I could provide an option to use "Platform\Game Name\Image Type.jpg" instead.

Jason Carr said Per multiple versions of the same game, the LaunchBox-recommended way of handling it is with Additional Applications, so there's only ever one actual game, though I understand the desire for separate box art per source. Unfortunately I think Source is a bit too specialized to use for the media file names.
How would I go about telling LaunchBox when an additional application is a Steam version of the game?