LaunchBox Community Forums

Automatically mount CD-ROM at boot (Warcraft II)

ol2ec

Hi Jason, I'm a big fan of the work you've done with LaunchBox! I'm using it to organize my complete 'nostalgia' games library. It's incredibly easy to set up different emulators (currently using DOSBox, ePSXe and VBA-M) and the result is beautifully clean and easy to use. However, I'm currently facing an issue with Warcraft 2 that I haven't been able to solve myself. This game requires the CDROM to be inserted (mounted) in order to play. Is there a way to automatically mount the .iso image (located in the games root folder) when starting up the exectuable? I thought the 'Mounts' tab would exactly do this, but the game still complains that the CDROM is not inserted. Maybe I don't understand what this tab is used for? Screenshots of my setup are attached. 1.png2.png3.png4.png A workaround would be to create a manual autoexec script, but then I need to explicitly say where the ISO and EXE are located. My LaunchBox folder will no longer be truly portable, which is one of my favorite features!

Your best bet would be to use a virtual drive app that can be controlled from the command line. Such as DAEMON Tools Lite. So the command for DTLite would be something like:
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount D, %1%
Windows 8 does natively mount ISO images and it can be done from the command line. However, it does not allow you to specify a drive letter and this can cause problems.

Hi bd000, Thanks for your reply. Do you mean there is a difference between mounting in Windows and mounting in DOSbox? In any case, I tried mounting the .iso natively (I'm using Windows 8.1) and it doesn't cause Warcraft to recognize the CDROM. I think the .iso has to be mounted in DOSbox for this to work.

Hmm, even in DOSbox I'm not getting this to work. My syntax is something like this:
Z:\> IMGMOUNT D "C:\Games\LaunchBox\GameData\MS-DOS\Warcraft 2\war.iso" -t iso -fs iso Z:\> MOUNT C "C:\Games\LaunchBox\GameData\MS-DOS\Warcraft 2\" Z:\> C C:\> WAR2
I'm starting to think it isn't LaunchBox's mounting feature that has an issue, but my setup of Warcraft itself.

Okay, I found the solution to my issue. After installing Warcraft 2 using DOSbox, you need to edit WAR2.INI to point to the correct location of the CD. The default location is C, but that is already mounted by DOSbox as the game directory. So I changed this location to D, then used the 'Mounts' tab in LaunchBox to automatically mount the .iso to drive D! Now it's working fine! So happy I was able to find a nice solution, now my LaunchBox library is still fully portable! Smile