LaunchBox Community Forums

Game quits as soon as it opens

happybandit

Hey there. I hope this post finds everyone well. I am having an issue where my game installs great, but won't start. I click on it and the DOS window opens and fullscreens but then closes out. Briefly, you can see where it says: DOS/4W Protected Mode Run-Time, Version 1.97 Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc., 1990-1994 After that displays for a couple milliseconds, it goes away. The game is Toonstruck. Any help?

happybandit said Hey there. I hope this post finds everyone well. I am having an issue where my game installs great, but won't start. I click on it and the DOS window opens and fullscreens but then closes out. Briefly, you can see where it says: DOS/4W Protected Mode Run-Time, Version 1.97 Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc., 1990-1994 After that displays for a couple milliseconds, it goes away. The game is Toonstruck. Any help?
Could be anything. Wrong file selected, settings are off. I would personally play this game with ScummVM. Otherwise if you are set with playing it through DOSBox what .exe, .bat or .com file did you select? Are you using game files from media or a download? http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Toonstruck And of course there is no page on it for the DOSBox wiki. http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GAMES:Toonstruck

Thanks for your response. It is a .exe file. I selected MAIN.exe. I downloaded the game. I am not opposed to using ScummVM, but I am unfamiliar with it. I have been unsuccessful so far with ScummVM as well. I can't even find the game location for some reason. I know where it is and point ScummVM to it, but it says its not there. Thanks

Hi @happybandit, welcome. Unfortunately you'll have to know where the game is in order to be able to do anything. So you'll have to find the game first. Once you find the game, it should be easy to edit the game in LaunchBox, tell it to Use ScummVM, tell it what game it is, and then point it to the folder. ScummVM should be easy to get going once you find the game.

Thanks for the response. I think I didn't communicate clearly. I'm sorry about that, my mistake. My fiance lets me know that often! :P (Getting married in 11 days BTW!) I know where the directory is located, but ScummVM would not accept it as a game file. In LB, I have been to Edit>Additional Apps>Add Application and I set the location of ScummVM. ScummVM opens when I click on Toonstruck. When ScummVM opens, I click Add Game. I navigate to the folder of the game and it says "ScummVM could not find any games in the selected directory" Is there a setting that I am missing? Do I need to change anything in LB when I add ScummVM as an app? (IE Run before, Run after, etc.) Thanks again for all your help.

happybandit said Thanks for the response. I think I didn't communicate clearly. I'm sorry about that, my mistake. My fiance lets me know that often! :P (Getting married in 11 days BTW!) I know where the directory is located, but ScummVM would not accept it as a game file. In LB, I have been to Edit>Additional Apps>Add Application and I set the location of ScummVM. ScummVM opens when I click on Toonstruck. When ScummVM opens, I click Add Game. I navigate to the folder of the game and it says "ScummVM could not find any games in the selected directory" Is there a setting that I am missing? Do I need to change anything in LB when I add ScummVM as an app? (IE Run before, Run after, etc.) Thanks again for all your help.
You must download the ScummVM specific files. DOS files will not work. They must be ScummVM. Once you have those, put the files in with ScummVM or where ever you would like then open ScummVM and point it to the files. ScummVM doesn't use conventional DOS or Windows files. It will look drastically different. The files you have right now will only work with DOSBox. Are there any .bat files that you have? Start, Go, setup or anything of the like? If the ScummVM version wont work, and the DOSBox version continues to not work there is also the GOG version. Also, congratulations on getting married! Edit: So apprently DOS files should work with ScummVM. But I've honestly never tried because it was always presented in that you need ScummVM files. Let me test SVM without SVM specific files but I still think your best chance might be those or the GOG version.

Ok, I did a bit of testing. The game launched right away in DOSBox with "dott.exe" selected. I used ScummVM and pointed it towards the same directory and it launched right away. DOSBox launched a setup and ScummVM went right in to it. So it still up to you which way you'd like to launch it, I do prefer SVM for these adventure games but...

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is over a year old, but I thought I would share my experience. I dont know if this is relevant to the thread, but, if there is a dosbox.exe  and a dosbox.conf in the game folder, point the launcher to those files in the edit game screen but in the Dosbox tab, uncheck "Use Dosbox." I think if this is checked, it will use the Dosbox file and configurations in the Launchbox/Dosbox folder instead of the game folder. Worked for me anyway.

Edited by UncleDaddySwiss