LaunchBox Community Forums

Made a small program to rename box art images and batch rename files.

Klamp

I was importing new consoles in Launchbox using rom packs. I also discovered the Hyperspin's 3D box art packs and decided to import a bunch in Launchbox. During this process I had a few very time consuming issues: -Some rom packs add an ID numbers in front of the game title. This confuses launchbox, preventing it from detecting the game titles when importing. -If the hyperspin's image file name do not exactly match the game title in launchbox, the covver don't show up in launchbox. After manually renaming a few hundred rom and image files while watching the 3 hours development streams, I got inspired by Jason. Using lots of copy-pasted code from countless google searches and the knowledge from the c++ class I had in college... 15 years ago, I programmed a little application to help rename these files quicker. **Use at your own risks and make backups before renaming any files!** File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uapifxjin0zbf91/BatchRename_CoverArt.exe?dl=0 It has two tools: Batch file renamer. -I use it to remove the parts of the rom files that prevent Launchbox from detecting the game titles correctly. -There are few renaming methods that should cover most cases (search and replace, chop characters from left or right, chop on a specific character or word). -For example I used: Keep right of First "-" to rename files named 0123-GameTitle.zip to GameTitle.zip Box Art Fixer -Scans the game titles of a specified platform in the collection (launchbox.xml) and tries to find the best match with an image file in the corresponding launchbox/images/front folder. -Lists all the games that don't have a matching image file and proposes the best match found in the image files available in the folder. -The user goes through the list and accept or declines the matches. -If accepted, the matching image is renamed to match the exact game title in launchbox, the cover art will show up once launchbox is refreshed (there are still special cases that will propose bad matches that I'm trying to fix, hence the required human confirmation). How I use it: -Import NES roms in launchbox. -Download the NES 3D box art packs from hyperspin. -Rename (manually) the folder launchbox/images/NES/Front/ to Front_off (this folder contains the covers downloaded by launchbox). -Extract the images from hyperspin in a new Front folder. -Run the Box Art tool to fix most of the mismatches. -Fix the last few games missing a cover image manually.
  • Like 1
  • Game On 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...