LaunchBox Community Forums

2D Platformers

Hi garbanzo you can then make a shortcut to that version of Launchbox and put it in present LaunchBox say under platforms, and you'll be able to click on that shortcut and go to that instance of LaunchBox (works really well if its a previous version of LaunckBox).

Cool idea, I wouldn't have thought to do that. Thanks! A second level of filtering would really be a nice feature. Imagine a second sidebar stacked below the current one. The top could filter to platform and the bottom to genre for example. With a system like that, you could use the top level for broad categories, and wouldn't need multiple instances of the app.

garbanzo said Cool idea, I wouldn't have thought to do that. Thanks! A second level of filtering would really be a nice feature. Imagine a second sidebar stacked below the current one. The top could filter to platform and the bottom to genre for example. With a system like that, you could use the top level for broad categories, and wouldn't need multiple instances of the app.
Is your goal not attainable with the custom filters?

SentaiBrad said
garbanzo said Cool idea, I wouldn't have thought to do that. Thanks! A second level of filtering would really be a nice feature. Imagine a second sidebar stacked below the current one. The top could filter to platform and the bottom to genre for example. With a system like that, you could use the top level for broad categories, and wouldn't need multiple instances of the app.
Wowzers. I hadn't seen that feature. Awesome!

garbanzo said
SentaiBrad said
Wowzers. I hadn't seen that feature. Awesome!
Yea, its a bit hidden but its an awesome feature with a premium license.

After playing with it a little it can sort of get me where I want. It's good that they're dynamic - rather like autoplaylists in a music app like foobar or similar. But in order to get what I want to get, I would have to have a huge list of custom filters, all with prefixes to sort them properly (2D Platform - Super Mario Bros, or Text Adventure - Infocom). To go further would be even more complicated - finding all handheld Super Mario Bros. games from 4th gen systems, or finding all Zork games and arranging them in the main window by release year for example. Multi-level filtering is much cleaner (select "Text Adventure" in the first filter (genre), "Infocom" in the second (publisher), then "Zork" in the third (series)). I think it would be particularly important if, as I've seen implied here in the forums, LB eventually expands to fully support other media. Think iTunes...

garbanzo said After playing with it a little it can sort of get me where I want. It's good that they're dynamic - rather like autoplaylists in a music app like foobar or similar. But in order to get what I want to get, I would have to have a huge list of custom filters, all with prefixes to sort them properly (2D Platform - Super Mario Bros, or Text Adventure - Infocom). To go further would be even more complicated - finding all handheld Super Mario Bros. games from 4th gen systems, or finding all Zork games and arranging them in the main window by release year for example. Multi-level filtering is much cleaner (select "Text Adventure" in the first filter (genre), "Infocom" in the second (publisher), then "Zork" in the third (series)). I think it would be particularly important if, as I've seen implied here in the forums, LB eventually expands to fully support other media. Think iTunes...
Well other media is being discussed, but it hasn't been fully decided on yet. As far as I am aware. However, even the custom filters could use some more fine tune layering. Jason will see these requests when he is awake.

No worries, I'm just brainstorming :) I really like to organize things. I've spent an extraordinary amount of time with foobar and Directory Opus in order to get things set up just right. Now that I've found an app that lets me launch anything on my PC with custom images, and to tag each item in any way I like, I'm just a little over-excited!

garbanzo said No worries, I'm just brainstorming :) I really like to organize things. I've spent an extraordinary amount of time with foobar and Directory Opus in order to get things set up just right. Now that I've found an app that lets me launch anything on my PC with custom images, and to tag each item in any way I like, I'm just a little over-excited!
I use XBMC / Plex for my videos with FileBot for proper naming. LaunchBox for games, mostly emulated because my Steam library is way too large to have them all installed, and I would like them to be if they're in LB... and It updates really fast. As for music, I just use Winamp because WMP and iTunes take up way too much of my computers resources for just playing music.

XBMC / Kodi is what I use on my machines. However, Plex is amazing for its network ease of use. My WiiU can play my media through it as its run through the browsers. So long as the device can run it, its good to go. I can also use it easily outside of my network as long as I set it up. Otherwise, I actually quite like my set up. File size isn't an issue, its just the ability to handle my large library of music. iTunes feels bloated just opening and WMP only felt bloated after importing everything. I am also curious about the Winamp resurgence now that AOL doesn't own them.

Very nice am still learning about music players lol like Jaangle as it gets all the artwork etc and has LastFM scrobbler as well or allows you pick an album cover from online. Plus through either LaunchBox or BigBox i can now play all movies music etc through the use of shortcuts. Even open up the drive door on my pc to put in DVD's or music CD's.