LaunchBox Community Forums

Suggestion for improving custom filters

garbanzo

I think the Custom Filters panel could be improved by going for more of a "query builder" style like in the image below. It doesn't need to be quite as complicated as this one - I think as long as long as you keep the IS and HAS arguments that are already there, and add a NOT argument, that would be enough. Each new line should be either AND or OR. http://www.kendra.org.uk/graphics/kendrabase_query_builder_mockup.gif

Hi @garbanzo, I do plan on revamping custom filters very soon; thanks for that screenshot. I've built things like that before; I wanted to keep this as simple as possible originally, but I'm not happy with it currently because it's both limited and has usability issues with the drop downs. I'll keep this in mind, thanks.

Thanks Jason. I think anyone who hordes enough video game ROMs to justify a frontend with custom filtering is probably going to appreciate some more advanced capabilities :) I've seen similar interfaces that let you add one argument at a time. So I might start with one line saying "platform HAS nintendo", then add another saying "AND genre IS racing". If it's additive like that, you can keep the UI very clean, but still have quite a lot of amazing filtering power :)