LaunchBox Community Forums

.Net dependency causes installation problem on Windows XP

pm

Yes, I know you're not actively supporting Windows XP, but I was wondering if there might be an older version of LaunchBox that does not require .Net 4.5.3, which apparently is blocked by Microsoft from installing on Windows XP computers. I use Windows XP because I have put together a multi-player game system for my children from old discarded hardware, and cannot afford to upgrade all the devices to a newer OS. Maybe I'm not the only one? Thanks for any assistance that you can provide. -Patrick

Hi Patrick, version 4.9 was the last available version to (sort of) run on XP. I say sort of because most of the wizards don't work, and it's probably prone to crashes if any of the problematic features are used. I don't freely distribute old versions of LaunchBox online, but I can send you a copy of 4.9. I'll send you a Dropbox link to your email.

• 9 months later...
hey i love launchbox and am gonna register pretty soon here but would also like an xp compatible version for an old setup im building. i just found out about the 4.5.3 issue.thx in advance if you could also send me one. love the software and cant wait to send you some $$$.

Unfortunately no, we don't support Windows XP anymore partly because of Microsoft. Not only did they end support, which has to happen eventually (so it is completely vulnerable to attack now) but our entire frame work can't really be ran on Windows XP anymore. We use the latest .Net which requires at least Windows Vista to run, and even that will be gone soon too. I do apologize, but it would take a great amount of work to back port to an earlier version of .Net, and things would be severely broken. Jason is the only coder and we need to keep moving forward.