LaunchBox Community Forums

Yay for Chrome's Remote Desktop app!!

alexis524

So...I've been in a bit of a quandary for the last few months. I have little time when i'm home to work on emulation stuff since family and homeschool takes priority. I had used a trial for GoToMyPC about 6 months back to install some Skyrim mods on my PC at home from my work PC (I had a lot of downtime) and figured, well, the only way I can make a dent in my LB setup is using my downtime at work to remote in to my home PC. I was about to pay for a subscription to GoToMyPC yesterday when I found an advertisement for Google Chrome Remote Desktop app for free. I installed on my work PC before leaving for the day, installed in on my home PC last night, and sure enough, I can work pretty well with not too much lag here at workWink So, I'm about to import a few ROM sets I've been meaning to for a while and download metadata that will be ready for me to game with when I get home. So far, it's working well as a remote desktop applicationSmile

I'll have to try that. I used to love LogMeIn but when it wasn't free anymore my needs for it diminished significantly. I also liked MS's Live Mesh but not many users used it so they discontinued it. When I got Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials I was able to remote into my server for both file sharing and it's RDP client to connect to the server or any active clients. I haven't reconnected any of my computers to the server since installing Windows 10 Insider Preview (it didn't support the connector software at the time) so I haven't had the ability in awhile I should do that though as connecting the clients to the server also gets you backups of up to 25 machines. These backups are pretty great for recovering from drive issues or when wanting to do a hard drive update. (sorry this became an advert for WS2012R2E but it is great software)