LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam controller

OGlikeNES

I can confirm that the steam controller doesn't work with bigbox. It only functions when launched from steam big picture mode and once you launch a game the controls do not work. If someone else figured out how to work around this please let me know hows ya did it. Thanks! Update: Change Steam controller desktop config to gamepad template. That allows the controller to work with emulators using xinput. Still didn't figure out how to control bigbox with the controller. I was able to navigate with keyboard and once game is launched the steam controller works fine.

Hi @jason carr, Bigbox mode works with it if I configure the steam controller to work as a keyboard and mouse and only if launched from steam big picture mode. If configured like that, then the emulators don't work with the controller. So, what I did was configured the controller to emulate xinput using the template "gamepad" that they provided, then when bigbox is launched, it doesn't work with the controller but the emulators do.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, I'm late to the party but I've had luck (So far, at least) getting the regular interface (and I assume Big Box mode) working by adding the app to Steam and switching the controller configuration to "gamepad" from the generic one that it defaults to. I've already had success starting VBA from Launchbox via Big Picture Mode and I was able to successfully configure the controller as a generic gamepad input instead of being stuck in the controller's weird desktop configuration. It should work across the board, including with Wii games, because you can still configure the gyro controls independently from everything else. I'll try it out with a few more emulators once I get everything loaded. Edit: I'm stupid, didn't see your original edit and pretty much just rehashed it. I'll try to get a config going that incorporates the gyro and upload it, when I'm not lazy, so I can contribute a bit. Edit 2: I've noticed that for the Steam Controller to work properly in any mode other than KB/M, the overlay has to be enabled and properly working - Steam seems to have an issue latching onto Bigbox when launched on "Non-steam game" mode, so the controller is not detected as a control source.

mixboiatl said So what I did was made a config for bigbox and after selecting the game I want, press the steam button to access overlay and switch the config to "gamepad" and it works fine. So far I tried PCSXR, PCSX2, Project 64, and Dolphin.
Nice, I'll have to try that. For some reason, my pad wasn't being recognized in BigBox - are you just mapping it to the keyboard for use in BigBox, or is the controller being detected by the program? I have noticed that Steam Overlay seems to struggle with BigBox for some reason. I bet that has something to do with the controller not being detected in "gamepad" mode. I'll have control for just a split second when it starts, then I'll lose control and will only be able to navigate with the keyboard, even if I've got the controller set to kb/m mode.

I assume it's mainly an issue with how Steam configures/applies configurations to the Steam Remote - I can't get the Steam Overlay to work with either Launchbox or Big Box myself even though I've added them, so I think that may be why neither of the apps are picking up the controller in their settings for configuration. Let me know if you'd like me to try some specific troubleshooting if you need any testing done or anything - I'd be glad to (attempt) to help. Absolutely no idea if this would affect anything, but I have noticed that BigBox does not show up in the Windows taskbar when launched. I've got no clue if this would have any bearing on Steam's ability to overlay, but I definitely noticed it when alt+tabbing out of the program to mess with some settings. Update: Ok, weird - my Steam controller works in default KB/M mode when I start Bigbox directly, but attempting to start it through Big Picture with Steam Overlay apparently messes something up and I can't control it regardless of what I do.