LaunchBox Community Forums

Commodore - 64 No Intro

ALIE

Tape should be digital copys of datasettes and as far as i know PP stands for Preservation Project. Preservation Project made dumps including copy protection, or removed trainers, cracktros etc. from games that are no longer available, except as cracked/hacked versions.

ok yah i see. that but i must say Commodore still has me confessed. so i went to no intro homepage and they have several dat files. Commodore - 64 Commodore - 64 PP Commodore - 64 Tapes Commodore - 64 Amiga Commodore - 64 Plus 4 Commodore - 64 Vic 20 now as i understand this are different variants of the commodore pc. but i wonder does a set with 16500 files that says full collection include all variations? or do i get all sets.

You've got things slightly confused there.. You've got Commodore 64 which will be disk images. the PP as already mentioned are Preservation Project files, you might need this as I don't know how extensive the nointro C64 dats are. C64 Tapes are tape images, not all C64 games came out on disk, not all of them came out on tapes, but some will have come out on both Amiga, Plus4 and VIC20 are completely different machines entirely and are not related to the C64 but if you want them go ahead and get them. One thing to bear in mind is that with nointro sets, as far as I'm aware it means they are all uncracked..so if a game requires manual copy protection and you don't have the manual..you won't be able to play it.. For C64 games you're better off with the GB64 collection.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

As someone who played the games in the original Commodore 64 back in the 80s, while it might be nice not to see those crack intros (and even then, some where incredibly creative both in presentation and gorgeous 8 bit SID music), unless you have the manuals or other primitive DRM methods used then (e.g.: the Bard's Tale games used a wheel you had to align to put the right word in the password), you are better off staying away from the preservation project versions, both for the C-64 and the Amiga.

• Like 2