LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows 10 Update KB3140743 Retroarch Performance

Lordmonkus

After installing Windows 10 Update KB3140743 I noticed a massive performance hit with Retroarch. Everything on my system was running perfectly before this update and after was running around 20 frames per second slower and basically impossible to play. I don't know what exactly in the update caused this issue but uninstalling this specific update everything was perfect again. This was only a problem within Retroarch, other standalone programs and emulators did not seem to be affected by this update as far as I could tell. This was on my lower end laptop, my main gaming rig does not use Windows 10 so I do not know if it was something within the patch specifically for everyone or if it was something specific to my laptop combined with the patch.

Some update notes: "KB3140743 improved the update installation process, as users are now less-likely to receive errors during installing and downloading updates. Problem with installing updates is one of the most common problems that users are facing in Windows 10, so we hope this update will make installing updates ‘more pleasant’ for users. Along with the update process, Microsoft also improved reliability of startup, installing and configuring Windows for the first time, authentication, resuming from hibernation, shutdown, kernel, Start menu, storage, Windows Hello, display modes, Miracast, AppLocker, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge browser, network connectivity and discovery, and File Explorer. Additionally, the update brings some device connectivity, and Cortana improvements, and it fixes issues with favorites to be lost after updates are installed, and with some app crashes. You can read the full changelog of the cumulative update KB3140743 on Microsoft’s Update History Page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10" None of that should really effect RetroArch though... this is getting stupid for updates breaking things. I still say Windows 10 is good... but what the hell. Edit: If it's one of your lower end laptops I assume it's a combination of something in the update with your hardware not direct fault of the update. We'll find out if others report it. I know RetroArch runs fine for me.

It's probably something to do with the on-board Realtek sound card and drivers. The first thing I had to do when I installed Win10 was install proper Realtek drivers because of massive reverb issues with the sound. I probably should have just reinstalled new sound drivers again first to see if that fixed the problem this time but I didn't think of it til after. I just figured I would post this here as well as over on the Retroarch forums for anyone else running into the issue and looking for a quick fix for this problem if encountered.