LaunchBox Community Forums

[Feature Request] Easier Custom Folders Options

newyears1978

Not sure if this is already possible, or already requested, but: When I installed LaunchBox it went to a default location (which I thought was odd anyways, in Users folder), and now I am downloading art, music, movies and my main OS drive is rather small. I store all my files and game installs on other drives. Therefore I want to change the directories but I would have to manually change each folder (all 5-10 folders) for each system. Possible to add a "Root" option or something? So say I am installed at c:\Launchbox and right now NES images are set to C:\Launchbox\images\Snes (as example) I could change root data folder to say D:\ and automatically where it looks for images\snes in C: it would now look in D: Man I hope I explained that. I know the easiest would be just to move the entire install to another drive, but I don't want to do that for a particular reason (though for now I may do this) Thanks =D Edit: Alternatively an additional option when importing games to set a custom Data directory (which would house the art/music/etc) would work.

Hey newyears1978. From what I can tell, Launchbox is completely modifiable, in a sense that you can simply change the folder you "installed". I know because I did it before, in your case I believe you can just drag Launchbox to the other drive with all your images files within. Just copy your folder and test it for yourself, I'm pretty sure it will work. Maybe for some reason you will need to add your games again, but the images will already be downloaded.

johnmalloc said Hey newyears1978. From what I can tell, Launchbox is completely modifiable, in a sense that you can simply change the folder you "installed". I know because I did it before, in your case I believe you can just drag Launchbox to the other drive with all your images files within. Just copy your folder and test it for yourself, I'm pretty sure it will work. Maybe for some reason you will need to add your games again, but the images will already be downloaded.
Yeah I mentioned that in my post that there was as specific reason I didn't want to move the whole install. I will do that temporarily but the option to store stuff in a seperate location would still be nice. I typically install software on SSD drives and store data (like images and media, or music or other downloads) on my storage drives. Like for instance windows is on my OS SSD but I moved all my libraries to another drive (Pictures, Music, Documents)

Sorry, edited previous post, I read it way wrong. Anyways, just moving the LB install is just fine. When you ran the installer it should have asked for a location. I know I keep my LB install on a completely separate drive. Having LB installed in one location and the images / music in another location doesn't quite make sense? The way its chosen now is mostly for simplicity.

johnmalloc said Yeah, my bad I didn't understand what you were asking for. I agree with you though, that feature would be very nice.
It's all good :) I also wish for conventional naming of the images like all the other programs use...it's causing me issues when using my own files :\ About your edit, yeah it doesn't make sense to most, however like I said I typically put my apps on my main OS/App drive and all data on other drives. It's not a huge deal here I can just move the whole install, but I need to get a new drive first..mine are getting full.

Hey guys, I can see the desire to keep your data in a different spot, but from the beginning I've tried to keep LaunchBox portable, which encourages everything to be all in one spot. When you start talking about different drives, that's when the portability starts to break. So the option is there, but honestly I don't really want to encourage users putting things outside the LaunchBox folder, just because it's the cleanest way to use it just to keep everything in there, and move LaunchBox itself if you need to. It doesn't make sense to put LaunchBox with your other apps anyways, because it's portable so it doesn't really even work to put it in Program Files. So unfortunately, that's not likely a feature that will be coming any time soon, just because I'd rather lean towards portability and everything being in one spot. @newyears1978, what is the "conventional naming of the images" that you're referring to? So far I haven't found any kind of a standard, it seems like it's just one big mess and no one can agree on any standards.

Jason Carr said Hey guys, I can see the desire to keep your data in a different spot, but from the beginning I've tried to keep LaunchBox portable, which encourages everything to be all in one spot. When you start talking about different drives, that's when the portability starts to break. So the option is there, but honestly I don't really want to encourage users putting things outside the LaunchBox folder, just because it's the cleanest way to use it just to keep everything in there, and move LaunchBox itself if you need to. It doesn't make sense to put LaunchBox with your other apps anyways, because it's portable so it doesn't really even work to put it in Program Files. So unfortunately, that's not likely a feature that will be coming any time soon, just because I'd rather lean towards portability and everything being in one spot. @newyears1978, what is the "conventional naming of the images" that you're referring to? So far I haven't found any kind of a standard, it seems like it's just one big mess and no one can agree on any standards.
@jason carr, Yeah the file directory thing is not a huge deal, I just thought I might mention things as they came up..but then realized I might be posting way to many..like..needing my own whole thread of stuff haha. The conventional naming I thought was pretty standard and I ran across it when I got into emulation and Hyperspin and found out about emumovies.com (which your app uses) If you download things from emumovies manually, which I do because it's easier (it can file match your files and not download stuff you don't have) they come in No-Intro naming format which is used across many sites. When you download them they are in this naming format and easy to manually move them into your Launchbox folders without having to change anything. It was still not too bad I had to remove the ending (USA), (Japan) etc from all my files so that they were left with just the game but having the conventional (or what I call conventional) naming would remove that need. Most of the people in the emu scene probably know about that naming standard and probably a lot more than me..I am still a newb ;) See here: http://www.no-intro.org/ Click DAT O MATIC on the right for the list that shows all the names of files that is used for No-Intro and by emumovies. (It's not a download even though it's under downloads. Also No-Intro, just for reference is just a name that stuck long ago but what they actually are, are ROM sets that don't have like 500 duplicates. They contain typically One release of a game (sometimes revisions Rev A, Rev B) for each region and that's it. Thus you don't have 15 of one game (different dumps) in your collection.

Jason Carr said Ah, interesting, good to know. I've seen No-Intro around of course but I had no idea that it was any kind of standard. I'm not sure if it would be a perfect fit, but we'll have to have a discussion on it to see if and how we should change things to match.
I am no expert but I think everyone uses the No-Intro naming standard. =D