LaunchBox Community Forums

Smart way to use mapper files?

pjburnhill

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the best way to create and use Dosbox mapper files (.map) per-game basis (to use my xbox controller). My current workflow is to create a new .conf file for each game and in the settings, point to a .map file I've previously created for that game. Is there a way to point Dosbox to a mapper file without creating a whole new config for the game? Command line command or something? Am I missing some simple trick here? Thanks, PJ

Thanks Jason, As you've probably noticed, I've created a feedback post at BitBucket (https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/359/per-game-dosbox-map-implementation) for this. As mentioned in the feedback, one way to do this would be to use dosbox's -userconf to have game-specific .conf which stacks with the default dosbox.conf. See: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38724#p349443 Cheers! PJ

I personally haven't done this with Mapper files because.... DOS games... but I have appended command line arguments to singular games in the past. https://i.imgur.com/Rmla4fq.png If you know the mapper command line load argument use the command (for example) -m then the path to the mapper file. So for me, assuming the command would be -m (which I have no clue if it is), the full path would be something like -m E:\LaunchBox\5.2\DOSBox\mapper\testfile.mapper (I also don't know what the mapper file extension is... whoops. xD) Use a full path instead of a relative path because a relative path assumes some information, like if the mapper is with the root folder which in this case is the game. So you can use a relative path if you keep the mapper files in the game folders they belong to, that would look like something like -m "testfile.mapper" I don't use the mapper files, but assuming you can load them through the command line this should work.

Sorry, I should have pointed it out but right below the Application Path is Application command-line parameters. Also, you can't load a mapper file directly but you can load a custom conf file. The mapper to be used can be specified in the config file, right? I don't quite remember but I do vaguely remember seeing that option in there. If so, load a custom conf file pointing to the custom mapper file. It's dumb but if its there it should work.

Hmmm.. I'm trying to get this working with using -userconf in the command line parameters, but it doesn't seem to do anything.. When running Dosbox games, what is the actual command that Launchbox/BB uses under the hood? And where are the command line parameters added in that command. I.e. if I add -noconsole in the 'Application Command-Line Parameters', how is that passed on to Dosbox, or is it? Are they added as parameters for the game exe, i.e. DosBox.exe -dosboxparameters "c:\Path\Game.exe -noconsole -conf gameconf.conf" which wouldn't work..
    Could we just add 'Additional DosBox Command-Line Parameters' in the DosBox tab in the game options.. ?
That way you can load both your custom .conf and in that .conf define your per-game .map.. Unless the first .conf AFTER -userconf has to be the main dosbox.conf before any additional '-conf gameconf.conf'. If that is so, then I guess the 'Edit Default DosBox Config' should have 'Additional per-game .conf' check-box or something.. At the moment, after xbox controller not working in Big Box through Steam Link (xinput), this is the reason why I'm hesitant to use Big Box through Steam Link as my launcher...

Just a follow-up: Indeed, if you use -userconf, the first -conf to follow is the 'master' conf (i.e. dosbox.conf) and any consequent ones override any parameters that are different (apart from [autoexec] which is 'stacked' with the master [autoexec]). So, if LaunchBox had 'Additional DosBox Command-Line Parameters' in the game-specific DosBox tab, the user would have to make sure, if using -userconf, to point to the main dosbox.conf before any game-specific '-conf game.conf'. Or alternatively, Launchbox's default Dosbox command line should have this built-in so any '-conf game.conf' in the game-specific 'Additional DosBox Command-Line Parameters' would always be the 2nd conf without the user having to add the main dosbox.conf manually. Sorry to ramble on this, just would really like to see this implemented Smile

Under the DOSBox tab when you edit a game it asks if you want to load a custom conf file, you can point to a game specific one here. Also, steam just had an update and when I reading the beta notes they were talking about controller fixes for the Steam Link in relation to programs and emulators (they specifically mentioned this) so updating to beta might be worth it to see if it works better now.