LaunchBox Community Forums

Search options like "Game Title Only"

Imgema

One of the best things about LaunchBox in my opinion, is that you can have a list that displays all of the roms you have, despite system. Using this list and the search window i can try and find different ports of the same titles. For instance, i can type "Mario" and it will show all Mario games i have from all systems. Or i can type "Doom" and compare all the different ports. The problem is, however, that some terms also bring up completely unrelated games. Like "Sonic" for instance. I was trying to see how many Sonic games i have added in the program and it would also bring up a bunch of 3DO games that don't even have the word sonic in their titles. Why? Because in the description on the right, it says they were published by Panasonic. So they end up in the list... This happened with other titles as well (that i can't remember now). Unrelated titles show up only because the word exist in the name of the developer or publisher, it shows up in the lists, making this whole process very inconvenient. So, is there a way to make the search a bit more advanced? Like making it look only at a game title and ignore other description info? Or making it look for developers only or publishers only, if you want all games from a certain company. Or, how about making it look for the exact word only? For instance, i want to look for "Doom" only, no "Doom Troopers" or "Towers of Doom". There is so much potential using the search window this way. Is that possible?

Edit: Link for the ticket:  https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/530/advanced-search-options

Edited by Imgema
  • Like 1

Excellent idea I tested if the Windows Search parameters worked in LaunchBox after reading this and unfortunately they do not I tried *Sonic which I knew wasn't going to work because as soon as I type * there were results for games like Q*Bert. You should definitely start a ticket for this on BitBucket all you have to do is click the Send Feedback link at the top of the page.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Ok so the issue in Bitbucket is tagged as "resolved" for some time now but i still can't find any option about the search function. I'm updating to beta versions to see if it's implemented but it doesn't seem to be any change.

Is it going to be implemented in a future release?

Edited by Imgema

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone explain how the advanced search works please?

Nothing is changed in the search field. And i don't know how the nested filters and auto-populate playlist options are supposed to work. I don't even know if i can use these in the free version.

When i made the ticket i had the search field in mind btw. Can one with more search options be implement instead?

Edited by Imgema