LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't change default music player?

Imgema

Whenever i try to play a music file, LaunchBox tries to launch Windows Media Player. That's not even my default player, i use others like Winamp, Foobar, PotPlayer, etc. I never use windows media player, besides, i use chiptune emulation plugins that are not compatible with it anyway. I can't find an option to change the default music player through LaunchBox though. Is there a way to do it?

Not really @Imgema, at least not at this point in time because we haven't had a reason to change it or offer an alternative. The only reason why we have two choices for Video is because people were having some issues with WMP, but now just as many people are having issues with VLC. We just use the playback engines temporarily while the music is played, and while the video is played. The lucky part about the music is that wav and mp3's don't require codecs which is part of the reason people had issues with running WMP for video, they were generally just missing codecs. Otherwise, there is really no difference to WMP compared to something like Winamp (which is what I use).

I see. Well, this player doesn't work for me because i don't use mp3s or wmas. All my retro-console music is emulated (or chiptunes if you will) because you can have whole soundtrack of only few kilobytes and at better quality too, since it's the actual source. These need certain plugins in order to play and i don't think windows media player can play them. But i suppose i'm the only one who use these. I just thought that changing your default music program would be an easy thing. Anyway thanks for the response.

Well maybe we still can, but it depends on how those are played. Even if we integrated WinAmp or VLC for Audio would it still play with those plugins on your system or would we also need to include some sort of system to play them as well? If they are proprietary formats (like PCM or something) I remember playing some NES and SNES ones on WMP with the codec packs installed. Generally these codec packs solve these issues for WMP, but it's been a very long time. Even with video and WMP we still usually have to have users install something like K-Lite Standard. It's been such a long time since I checked, and I don't think the files I was talking about are like the ones you have. A bit more info on the file and you can still request this feature on our BitBucket page. I would have mentioned this already but you didn't let me know about these special files, so I assumed you meant the regular music we download through EmuMovies or regularly supplied mp3's.

These are the music formats i'm talking about, in case anyone is interested http://www.zophar.net/music.html These require either special plugins that go in the /plugin winamp folder or a player that supports them, like some VGM players. So, the music player is integrated in LaunchBox? I was thinking of something like launching a program in your PC to play those files. Like how manuals are opened in your default PDF reader. Maybe there is a way to do this using the additional apps option? I have already made 2 bit bucket requests that i would rather see fulfilled, i wouldn't want to spam the place with more :P

Ah yea, SPC was what I used (I forgot) but I do remember them running in WMP. WMP is not integrated per se, it still needs to be installed on a users computer, but the libraries and how it operates is what we have in the code. We tell it where to look since WMP is generally an integrated part of Windows it's an easy assumption to make that most users have it installed still. VLC is something that is technically bundled with LB, because their license and code allows for it. There's no VLC exe or anything, but the code that makes video playback work is what we have essentially. I'll do a few tests with these and see what I come up with.

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I know this topic is old, but I'm new here in frontends world and I'm still interested with this theme. I'm audio guy and chiptune composer myself and I have huge collection of videogame soundtracks in original formats. Low bitrate mp3s is not acceseble for me, but flac or something has to much size on hdd. Original formats are really small size and sounds great in most cases. I use foobar2000 audio player for these. There is a way to integrate it or something? It will be really immersive for me and save me huge discspace. Thank you, guys!

2 hours ago, tiualex said:

Hello,

I know this topic is old, but I'm new here in frontends world and I'm still interested with this theme. I'm audio guy and chiptune composer myself and I have huge collection of videogame soundtracks in original formats. Low bitrate mp3s is not acceseble for me, but flac or something has to much size on hdd. Original formats are really small size and sounds great in most cases. I use foobar2000 audio player for these. There is a way to integrate it or something? It will be really immersive for me and save me huge discspace. Thank you, guys!

This comment is probably not helpful to you. I don't know how to integrate Foobar2000 with LaunchBox and have your music files play automatically with your games. But you could import your music files or Foobar2000 playlists as roms and create a Music platform (or add them to your games as additional apps). Then setup Foobar2000 as an emulator. I know Foobar2000 has command line support and this way at least your music collection is accessible  from LaunchBox.

Edited by Koroth

9 hours ago, Koroth said:

This comment is probably not helpful to you. I don't know how to integrate Foobar2000 with LaunchBox and have your music files play automatically with your games. But you could import your music files or Foobar2000 playlists as roms and create a Music platform (or add them to your games as additional apps). Then setup Foobar2000 as an emulator. I know Foobar2000 has command line support and this way at least your music collection is accessible  from LaunchBox.

Yeah. It's not really what I want, but pretty interesting though. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!