LaunchBox Community Forums

Change sounds in Big Box ?

kmoney

I generally like the sounds that are included with bigbox which is the back,move and select sounds. But over a period of time they can start to become a little bit overbearing and kind of annoying especially the "move" sound when scrolling through a large list of games quickly. I know you can turn the sounds off but I would like to be able to change the sounds to something a little bit more subtle. Do the sounds have to be in a wav format or can they be in mp3 format and what details do you reccomend the bit rate and etc. to be at for optimal quality? Not bashing the sounds but sometimes my ears can become overly sensitiveSmile

SentaiBrad said Replace the Sounds in the sound folder. In your LB Root folder is "Sounds", that is what Big Box uses.
Yes, I know where the sounds folder is, I was just wondering if they need to be in a wav format? I assume they do because when I tried to put a mp3 file in the sound folder and rename it to "move", when I restarted big box it just recreated the move.wav folder. The only way I could get it to work is to convert my mp3 file to a wav file and rename it to "move" and it worked in big box.

Oh, I missed that last line, I am sorry. Yea, they need to be in .wav and a generally 320kbps at 48000mhz works everywhere. These sounds are actually a higher bitrate, (over 1k kbps) but 320 should be just fine if that's what you have. http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav This should work easily as well to convert them. Edit: 128kbps and 256kbps will work just fine too, it depends no the source mp3 file, you can't really make it go higher than your source file.

320kbps does not apply to WAV; that's only compressed formats like MP3s. WAVs are much bigger because they're uncompressed, which makes them more performant to play back in Big Box. Ideally the sounds would be 44,100 kHz 16-bit stereo or mono WAV files, which is the typical WAV standard. However, I do expect that some other formats would work.

WAV is uncompressed but if you convert an mp3 in the end it's what ever the mp3 was technically speaking. The mp3 is compressed and you can't decompress it and convert it back to a wav, you can't add that data back in. So if your source mp3 is 128-320kbps stereo at 41,100 or 48,000kHz you should be fine when converting it to a wav. Some convertors may not let you choose the bit rate and the frequency, generally choosing 41k or 48k will lock the bit rate, but you should still be fine. If you do change it let us know what you change them to, I think it would be fun to have users share custom sound packs for BigBox.

• 1 month later...
I changed my BigBox sounds with music/sounds from "Galaga". Being that it's my favorite arcade game and some of the sounds are great for the front-end. Let me know if you make a space for users to upload their custom sounds and I'd be glad to share.

If we do allow that on the Database, sadly we would have to deny Copy written music, but you are more than welcome to share your music on Mediafire, Google Drive, Mega or Dropbox. Just put the download link in a reply. I also made a thread for users to share their sound packs if you'd like to post it there: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/collections/bigbox-user-sound-pack-mega-thread#p17827