LaunchBox Community Forums

Shot in the Dark: Renaming Windows Controllers

fromlostdays

First off, Launchbox/Bigbox keeps getting better. Have tested controller integration to the front end, to the emulator, and back using AHK script and it mindbogglingly easy and seamless. It even works using a Wii Classic and an xbox 360 controller at the same time. I only have one problem, and it has nothing to do with Launchbox, but I figure a bunch of intelligent people may be able to help. So shot in the dark: Mayflash Dolphin Bar will recognize 4 different wii controllers. However, in Windows all of the controllers are named identically. "Mayflash Wiimote PC Adapter". Now they work, but it can be quite a pain to scroll through four identical names, say within an emulator, to try to set player 1 vs player 2 etc. So the question is, is there a way to rename controllers in windows so that I can assign player slots to them easily? Does it even work like that, or is player 1 always going to be the first one you turn on? I can't tell because again, the names are identical. At any rate, thanks for any help.

I haven't used Wii motes on PC but there is no reason why the first one you turn on won't be player 1. As far as I know if you can rename devices in Windows it is not easy at all. Their names might be on a driver or hardware level that we can't change. Their Hardware ID's should be different, but it is hard to tell just from cursory glances.

I figured as much as google yielded nothing I could use. There was some stuff about being able to do it through the registry but I don't want to take stuff like that at face value and follow steps if I have absolutely no idea what they do. It really only becomes a problem in a specific scenario (Its never a problem if its just me playing). But if a friend and I are playing say NBA Jam, pause and leave long enough for the controllers to shut off, it can get confusing when we get back if we accidentally turn the wrong controller on first. Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Hi, I'm not sure if this will work with Wii Motes, but I've used this method with my PC gamepads. You can rename your controllers using a simple registry change. I'm sure this won't damage your PC in any way. I'm not forcing you but if you want you can try this method :D Go to search and type "regedit" then run it. Go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM" There should be a few sub-groupes. Click those and see if you can find your controller names on the right side. If you do see your controller name in a key called OEMName, double click it and change your controller name. I found this method in a youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrT7WXFEEZI Hope this helps :D