LaunchBox Community Forums

Collector Editions

Cebion

So I saw some submissions for games with Collectors Edition or Complete Packs. Do they justify a new game entry only because they're a collectors edition? Fisty also said, that some games like TIE Fighter actually upgraded the game content with their "Collector's Edition" So there's that. What do you think? Where should we make a line? Example Star Trek: the Next Generation - A Final Unity (Collector's Edition)

Wel generally most Collectors Editions / Re-releases do upgrade content. However, it's really hard to tell which would be which. My thoughts are it's really hard to know, so accept them all. However, I do agree that games that actually added to the game should be the ones to get their own ID. If the Collectors Edition has the same front and back art, same Description, same release date as the original game then I would consider it a duplicate. If the information actually changes, then I would consider it unique. This is just me though.

SentaiBrad said Wel generally most Collectors Editions / Re-releases do upgrade content. However, it's really hard to tell which would be which. My thoughts are it's really hard to know, so accept them all. However, I do agree that games that actually added to the game should be the ones to get their own ID. If the Collectors Edition has the same front and back art, same Description, same release date as the original game then I would consider it a duplicate. If the information actually changes, then I would consider it unique. This is just me though.
I agree that if the information changes there should be a new game added. Most special editions come out at different dates to the original game, Game of the Year editions are usually after all the DLC has been released, and they always have different box art to distinguish them. @Jason, would it be possible to have a base game, with special additions linked to it showing the extra features and individual box art? When scraping then, if a game is matched and it has special editions, you could be prompted to select which edition you have.