LaunchBox Community Forums

Games won't run

cura

I'm trying to set up Launchbox, but can't get it to work. Currently I use RetroArch for SNES and MAME games, and everything's working fine there. When I add SNES games, Launchbox says they've been imported. But when I try to play them, nothing happens. I've set RetroArch as my emulator. I'm following the procedure in the youtube tutorial. When I try to add MAME games, it just doesn't recognise them at all (either zipped or unzipped), and won't import anything.

No MAME ROMs will ever work unzipped (unless RA does even more things I didn't know it did). Did you move the MAME files into Launchbox and then not change the path in the MAME.ini file (if RetroArch version of MAME even works the same way I really don't know if it does or not). When you say it doesn't recognize them at all do you mean the names of the games when searching for metadata or it just doesn't see any of your ROMs period?

From reading this thread, I figure I'll need to add a line to the command line options. I've successfully got retroarch to run from the command line with this line: retroarch.exe -L cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll -c config\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll.cfg "C:\path om_name.smc" So I added this line to the Launchbox command line parameters (was previously empty): -L cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll -c config\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll.cfg Launchbox says the sample command would look like this: retroarch.exe -L cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll -c config\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll.cfg "File" ... which basically looks identical to the line that runs fine from the command line. But, no dice. Nothing happens when I click play.

DOS76 said No MAME ROMs will ever work unzipped (unless RA does even more things I didn't know it did). Did you move the MAME files into Launchbox and then not change the path in the MAME.ini file (if RetroArch version of MAME even works the same way I really don't know if it does or not). When you say it doesn't recognize them at all do you mean the names of the games when searching for metadata or it just doesn't see any of your ROMs period?
doesn't see any of the ROMs. I just tried unzipped out of desperation. I didn't move any of the files, just left them in their current folder.

To make the games work in RetroArch you need -L "cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll" in the associated platforms. -C is for if you have a custom config, if you don't have one don't use the command. The name of the console on the left of the command line needs to match the system name you've set to. So if it is Super Nintendo on the left bar in LaunchBox, the associated platform needs to be named this. Edit: Also the link to my channel has Tutorials on several systems, most dealing with RetroArch. They can also help a lot.

Finally got it working!!! The main issue was that in the tab 'Associated Platforms', in the 'Edit Emulator' window, Launchbox automatically filled out the incorrect RetroArch core for SNES. So I had to delete that and change it to: -L "cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll" I do have custom configs, so I had to add the -c option to command line parameters BUT NOT the -L option, as that was already in 'Associated Platforms' Thanks all :) I'll worry about MAME some other time haha