LaunchBox Community Forums

Feature Request : Controllers

cloudsquall88

Ok, so I know what I'm proposing here is insane, but I can see how Launchbox is aiming to provide the most streamlined environment for emulation. So here it is: It would be extremely nice if you could make an input mapper directly inside Launchbox. For example like the one Retroarch has, which is a mediator controller, on top of which the input for each emulator (or "core" in retroarch terminology) is mapped. This I believe is a very specialized process, which will need to be done for each and every emulator there is out there, at least the ones commonly used or are recognized by Launchbox. For example this kind of mediator controller would be like the xpadder one. It would recognize your controller and let you make different profiles for it. Then through the use of a .dll? (I really don't know the technicals), a .dll say made specifically for eg. PCSX2, you could map your mediator controller buttons to the input that PCSX2 accepts. What do you think of this idea? Ask me if you need more explanation about what I am saying, I'm not very sure I was clear. Anyways, as always, thanks a lot for your hard work.

Yea it would probably need to be customized for everything, and there is a lot of stuff. Something like xpadder only works globally because it's emulating a keyboard. Once you specify applications it can then load based on what you just launched. Tapping in to the code for each emulator would actually be pretty much impossible. Jason would have to learn the code of each specific emulator. RetroArch easily gets away with this because it's ported each of the systems it can run to the same code base. It can adapt easily to each situation. Once you step outside of RetroArch though that would require an interpreter. That could also potentially add in some input lag because instead of just pressing the button and immediately sending the proper code to make Mario jump it has to first pass through an interpreter so that it could then run. That's part of why Java is so poor in performance, it's designed to run on everything and not specialized for anything really. It could certainly be done, but it is way out of our scope or time. Also, congratulations on 2k posts Derek!